1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Colts to cut Peyton

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassguppy, Mar 6, 2012.

1. bassguppy

bassguppy

sad. I'm not a Colts fan but this is no suprise. He's done so much for Indianapolis, the Colts, and football.

off to Baltimore goes Peyton. :p

[​IMG]

Sources -- Indianapolis Colts to part with Peyton Manning Wednesday - ESPN
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I just hope Peyton ends up on a winner.
  3. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

Stick him in San Francisco and you have a legit Super Bowl contender IMO. This is assuming he is healthy, of course.

It'll be nice to see him out of the division, after watching him stomp all over my beloved Texans for the past decade. The tables have turned though - I hope Indy enjoys watching Houston win the AFC South for the next few years. :spit: :p
  4. Dazey

Dazey

Now why would san fran acquire him after all the promise alex smith showed last season?
  5. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

He was a total dud until this last year - IMO you are still taking a huge chance on Alex Smith. If he remains the SF qb, I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually returns to his old self.
  6. Dazey

Dazey

That may be true but it's pretty obvious that the niners (and harbaugh) have committed to him as their franchise QB(for now at least). I don't see him going anywhere for at least 2 seasons.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Maybe he can go home and finish up as a Saint?

-Mike
  8. bassguppy

bassguppy

Smith will be a free agent, is still unsigned and holding out for a way bigger contract. I can't see Smith leaving SF though as the pieces are nearly all there.

I also can't see Peyton in SF, that's an expensive backup.
  9. jp58

jp58

I'm not sure if Peyton will be the same. I'm sure there are teams lined up to give him a shot, especially those that miss out on RG3 and Luck, but I'm not sure he has it left in him after the injuries.
  10. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Supporting Member

Tough ending for Peyton. He will knock around for a season or two and retire hopefully, and not in a wheelchair.

Alex Smith was bounced around before digging in @SF. The 9ers winning streak at the end of the season was great and I expect next year will be about the same.
  11. Root 5

Root 5

The Colts' owner should give Manning the money simply because of all the money he's made for the franchise. Irsay is a much wealthier man today because of Manning and not the other way around, if ya catch my drift.

But business is a cold and ugly thing. Irsay surely didn't become a billionaire by being a sweetheart.
  12. LarryO

LarryO

I think if he goes to Houston or san Fran he will go to the super bowl again. Anywhere else is a toss up. Even though Miami has interest I would not want to play the patriots twice a season when I only have 4 years or so left in the NFL.
  13. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Hard to see my Niners going after Manning. Sure, if he regains his form of 3 years ago gets good protection and another weapon at WR San Francisco could easily win a Super Bowl.

But he's about to turn 36, missed an entire season and had four neck surgeries. He'll likely be in a completely new system and one hit away from retirement.

For a team that barely missed a trip to the Super Bowl (with IMO a great chance to beat the Patriots) I can't see Harbaugh and company making a gamble like that.

And I think that goes for all of the teams that had legitimate title aspirations last year.

I think you'll see him wind up on a team that didn't make the playoffs last year, who would retool their offense completely for him, possesses some offensive weapons and a decent o-line and who has the money to sign Reggie Wayne too.

Without looking too closely at the numbers the teams that jump out at me are Miami, Kansas City and Seattle.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Rex Ryan go after him but I don't think it would happen. Likewise with the Redskins who seem to throw money at every big name and constantly cycle through QBs.
  14. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

I hope it does happen! Jets could totally use someone like Peyton...tired of Sanchez :scowl:
  15. electracoyote

electracoyote

If P. Manning had any sense, he'd take any backup slot that comes his way, forget about competing, and collect a check from the bench until he's ready to take off the pads and do some team a great service from an administrative position. His neck injuries are serious, and he's really testing fate every time he takes the field.
  16. SoonerMatt

SoonerMatt It looks like a mira- IT'S IN THE HOLE! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Fuzzhugger(fx)
    They're just making room for Luck.
  17. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

It sure seems that way to me. A buddy of mine insists Manning's playing days are over, and there isn't enough evidence yet to say otherwise.
  18. bjabass

bjabass

Yep, I hate to see him try to continue at all. I don't think he'll suffer for the lack of the money, but to have him severely injured would be a real shame. I don't think he will be that effective anyway. I'll always remember him stepping back, scan the field with a quick neck swivel, then throw the strike. The neck swivel will be hard to accomplish.

He has nothing to prove, will always be considered among the greatest of all time.
  19. ZoomBoy

ZoomBoy Supporting Member

What a shame....being an old school Pats fan I always hated him yet loved the way he played and handled himself. He will end up on someones roster for sure.
  20. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Mike, I don't get that one.

If I'm the Saints, why would I want to dump a younger, healthy Drew Brees (who has won one Super Bowl) for an older Manning (who has won one Super Bowl) and whose health is not only highly questionable, but who is likely to be one hit away from medical retirement?

I can't make sense out of that.

Washington? Absolutely. Seattle? Perhaps. Arizona? Maybe. Cleveland? Yes. Miami? You betchum. Broncos? Actually, yes...Manning is probably the one guy they could bring in and sit Tebow without causing a fan uprising.