1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Columbus OH / Detroit MI venue questions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TimBosby, Jun 24, 2013.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

I live in Omaha, NE. One of my favorite new bands, Wolf People (check them out, they're awesome) will be visiting the U.S. from the U.K. for a very limited run of shows this fall. The only shows that make sense for me to go to (within reasonable driving distance) are Detroit (at a place called Magic Stick Lounge) and Columbus OH (at a place called Ace of Cups.) The Detroit show is on a Thursday which means I'd have to take half of Wed and then all of Thurs and Fri off of work to go to it. The Columbus show is only about an hour further, but since it's on a Friday, I'd only need to take Friday and half of Thurs off of work. Since it will save me from using an extra day of paid time off, I'm leaning toward the Columbus show at this point but am still considering either.

My wife and I are in our early 30s, no kids and don't plan on having any, so we can still go driving around the country to see bands we like at smaller clubs (we just Portugal. The Man in Minneapolis this past weekend...amazing show.)

Wondering if anyone has experience with/thoughts on either Ace of Cups in Columbus or Magic Stick Lounge in Detroit...? If I'm going to drive 12 hours one way to go to a seedy rock club .... it better be a seedy rock club with at least decent sound and some good tap beer :D
  2. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

I go to the Magic Stick fairly often. I like it. There is a bowling alley there and decent pizza. Its not seedy, but it ain't the Ritz. There is a secure parking lot in the back. There are hotels near by. Its located on Woodward Avenue like most things in Detroit.
  3. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

The Stick also has a good bar and good sound.
  4. TimBosby

Thanks, that's good info.
    Maybe I should go to both shows. :D Too bad the Columbus one isn't first. Then I could loop up to Milwaukee and visit my folks on the way back.
  5. TimBosby

I posed the same question on my Facebook and got this snarky response:

"your best vacation idea is going to Detroit... to something named "the Magic Stick"? *starts the slow clap*"

Lolz. My friends are a-holes. Hahahah :D
  6. TimBosby

How about Columbus?

*crickets*
  7. Plantfood

Plantfood

I've seen a few shows at Ace of Cups. Very cool place to hear live music. It's in a very old bank building (you'll notice the huge bank vault door behind the bar). Awesome beer selection! Plus after the show if you are staying in town for the night you would be very close to the short north and the brewery district. Tons of stuff to do in both of those areas. it's also about 5 minutes north of OSU campus so your bound to find something to do. Have fun!
  8. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    It's Columbus Tim, Ohio State Buckeyes, ya know........where the men are men and the sheep are nervous?

I have a couple friends that work outside Columbus for one of the major Japanese Auto manufacturers. They say Ace of Cups is a cool place in an okay area with good sound and amenities close at hand.

Also, anything having to do with a magic stick in Detroit should be approached with a distinct sense of humor!
  9. TimBosby

LOL Harold.

Thanks guys, very helpful.
  10. malthumb

malthumb Supporting Member

Couldn't resist posting a clip of my kids playing at the Magic Stick in October 2012.

My oldest is the lead guitarist playing the white Strat. My youngest is the one playing the Alembic Series I. That's the bass I got from Stanley Clarke. First time he's ever played that one. They're playing Led Zeppelin's "Heart Breaker".

My band played that night, too. One thing I can say is that the sound man we had that night was excellent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM-awj0Wbdo

Here's a couple pictures of the venue....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. runmikeyrun

runmikeyrun

played the Magic Stick (and quite a few other places) in Detroit over the years. The Magic Stick is a good place to see a show, but the crime rate is much, much higher than it is in Columbus. Like the highest in the country. I ALWAYS get nervous playing in Detroit, I hate being out on the street there late at nightas there's usually weird dudes wandering around. I always wonder if my equipment is going to be in the van in the morning.

I'd much rather go to Columbus, and recommend that over Detroit. I haven't seen/played Ace of Cups yet but a friend's band plays there regularly and said it's a cool place.

Have fun!
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

James....your boys rock and groove all at once. Very impressive.

As for the trip, make it work and go to both. You'll figure it out when you get to each city. I followed my favorite band, Great White, around the Pacific Northwest for a month or so back in the late 80's. A great chunk of time from my life that my buddies who went with me and I still talk about.

-Mike
  13. malthumb

malthumb Supporting Member

Does Detroit have crime? Yup. Is the area around Magic Stick dangerous? Nope. Magic Stick is in between downtown and midtown. Safest area of Detroit is downtown. Next safest is midtown / New Center. That is not by accident. Those are two of the most active entertainment districts in the city. OP, if you decide to come to Detroit, PM me and we'll grab a beer.
  14. TimBosby

Thanks everyone!!

As much as I would like to visit Detroit, it's looking like Columbus is going to win this one, primarily because it decreases the amount of time off from work I have to take... and PTO is as precious as money. Malthumb, your kids are rocking better than most bands I know twice their age... awesome. :D
  15. TimBosby

Ah, screw it. May go to both. MJ5150 is right :D My wife and I are in our early 30s and have no kids or pets so why not? Malthumb, if I come to Detroit, I'll definitely grab a beer w/ you at the venue if you're available. Check out Wolf People (that goes for everyone!) - they are soooooo good...if you like classic/psychedelic/British/folks/progressive rock. Listening right now at work (on a Saturday :spit:) actually.