1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Comb amps

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by apollo18, Dec 29, 2012.

1. apollo18

apollo18

Yup! Here we go again. Lol But i think its worth covering again because their is a lot of new bass players since Christmas and guys looking for a new combo. I'm looking for a combo for practice but yet something that I won't grow out of. I had a GK mb115 that liked but it had a tweeter issue so I returned it. My top pics are hartkey 210 or 115 hydride, GK 210 or 212 or the Genz Benz 115 or 210. I also was kicking around the idea of the GK 410. What's your thoughts on these combos? Thanks

2. ksandvik

ksandvik

A lightweight amp head, plenty to choose from, my favorite being GK MBFusion500. And a lightweight 8 ohm 2x10 cab. As easy to transport as a combo. And you you could add another 2x10 later for more volume. More flexibility. If you get tired of your amp head you could switch to another. More flexibility. Head or cab dies and you send it in for repair. Get another unit meanwhile. Or have a backup one. More flexibility.

3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

G-K and Genz Benz are good choices! Depending on budget also Markbass and Mesa have good combos. Lots to choose from.

4. nortonrider

nortonrider

Take a look at the TC BG250
    [​IMG]
    or the Genz Benz Contour 500
    [​IMG]
    If I was in the market for a new combo, these would be tops in the running.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. apollo18

apollo18

All very good valid points but doesn't it cost more to buy a cab and a head? Genz Benz will cost you north of a grand to buy it that way

7. apollo18

apollo18

I've never tried either of them but if I remember correctly hey are costly.

8. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Yes they are. G-K offers the best value for your dollar :smug:

9. apollo18

apollo18

I like the Genz Benz contour stuff. Wasn't sure if its worth the extra couple hundred dollars more then combos of equal size. Anybody have any input on this?

10. RS66LB

RS66LB

Any of those would have great tone potential however I wonder if there are any 'wedge' type small amps with the ability to do a 4 ohm load (second speaker), basically you'd have a monitor plus mini main rig with only 2 items to carry