Combining XLR and 1/4" signals

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Murphbass, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Murphbass

Murphbass

I'm trying to assemble my live amp rig for my upright and electric bass. I'd like to run separate preamps for the two instruments with discrete DIs to the house. The problem I'm encountering is how to combine the two signals to my power amp and cabinet. If it'd be better, then the ability to switch between the two is fine.

The upright signal enters a Summit TD-100 tube DI/preamp. XLR DI goes to FOH. There's a 1/4" out, as well. I'd like to add a Klark Teknik DN 405 parametric EQ which only has XLR ins/outs. My previous parametric (Rane) had 1/4" and XLRs, which made it easy to interface with my power amp, which is XLR only. So, first, I need a way of converting the 1/4" out of the pre into the EQ. What's a good way to do this? Is a DI appropriate? Or, just a cable to convert?

My electric bass enters a tube preamp with XLR DI to FOH. 1/4" out, as well.

My dilemma is this- the upright path will have an XLR out to the power amp, which is what I want. The electric pre side is 1/4". I want to combine these two signals to the power amp. What's the best way to accomplish this? A small mixer? Does anyone make an AB box that accepts one 1/4" and one XLR to a single XLR out? Should I convert the 1/4" out from the electric side to XLR and use something like the Whirlwind Combiner?

Upright-> Summit Pre -> XLR out to FOH
    -> 1/4" converted to XLR -> Klark Teknik EQ XLR ->

Electric-> Alembic F1X-> XLR out to FOH
    -> 1/4" out ->

XLR in -> Power Amp

Thanks in advance!
  2. Slade N

Slade N Previously sizzle Supporting Member

small mixer might work
    but xlr to 1/4 adapter probably quickest/easiest/cheapest route

somebody might make what youre looking for...radial maybe?
    someone should be able to make for you custom