Combo Advice

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BulbousMoses, Apr 2, 2014.

1. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

Ok, here's the scenario. I have $350.00 to spend (before taxes) on a small combo. My wish list is as follows:

1) Must be powerful enough for small gigs that may include drums and an electric guitar (roots/folk stuff mostly)
    2) Must have great tone (or as good as possible at this price point)
    3) Must have a line out, preferably XLR.
    4) Must have a speaker extension jack
    5) Must have a headphone output.
    6) Must be new. I won't get into why...just live with it.

I am in Canada so I have access to Traynor as well as most of the other major brands that any American would have access to.

I need your help on this one, folks. I've made a number of bad gear choices over the years and I want to try to negate that possibility as much as I can..!

P.S. If it helps, the bass I will be using primarily, is a Gretsch Electromatic G2224 Junior Jet II short scale with Chromes.

Thanks!!!

2. Quaff1

Quaff1 Supporting Member

TCE BG250

Light, powerful, lots of tone options, great bang for the buck

I don't own one - but almost bought one before deciding I need more power

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads. Supporting Member

For the money, I have always liked Peavey for "lower priced" amps.

4. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

Any issues with the quality control on these? I read a few things on here about that.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dalkowski

dalkowski

+1. Loud, feature-packed and bombproof. Plus you'll develop a ripped upper body.

7. eriky4003

eriky4003

BulbousMoses,
    Something that just started today (in Canada) is Amazon.ca is selling musical instruments, etc. I priced similar gear with Long & McQuade and noticed it was a bit cheaper.
    I've read a lot of good stuff about Quaff1's suggestion. You could find/order through Fleet Pro Sound and they usually have some in stock when I've gone, not sure if you're going to get it at your price point where we are. GK has good combos, which get a lot of love on TB, but again price may be the stickler.

8. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

Thanks for the info. Fleet is out in the west end of town so I don't often get out there but I might drive over to see what they have. There are new Ampeg BA combos coming out soon but no one has them in stock yet so I can't try them.

9. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

I've heard this about Peavey. Never owned one (yet). The negative I've always heard is that the tone is not as good as other brands..not sure if there's any truth to that.

10. buldog5151bass

Peavey has a 300W 15" combo for $300. I would give it a test drive.

11. lakefx

lakefx Supporting Member

The only combo I'm aware of that matches your required features in your price range new is the Carvin MB10. I've never played one, but I researched combos last year with similar requirements to yours. I ended up with the TC Electronics BG-250, which doesn't have an extension speaker jack. I'm quite happy with the amp, especially for the price, and it gets plenty loud for my needs.

12. dalkowski

dalkowski

Without trying to start a "tone" poopstorm, "good tone" is subjective. It's the sound that's pleasing to your ears, and while the amp does much to shape it, it's also about the effects you use, your pickups and your playing technique.

Keep in mind that at your price point, your options are limited. Try as many options as you can, and good luck!

13. buldog5151bass

I have a Carvin BX-500 head, which has exceeded my expectations, but the issue is whether 1 10" driver would cut it for what you are doing.

14. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

Well, at 250 watts, I can probably drop the need for an extension speaker out. It's the 75-150 watts combos in my price range that I would want the extension speaker option for.

15. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

True. I should have said that I have limited amp experience. I've only owned a couple of bass amps, the most recent being an Ampeg Micro VR, which I loved but no longer have. So, if it helps any, I like the "Ampeg Tone"

16. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

The Carvin look like a fantastic amp but can I get one shipped to Canada? And how much more is that going to cost? What if I don't like it? I'd need to get on the phone to them to get that answered first.

17. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Supporting Member

If you liked the Micro VR, you may want to look at the Micro CL...about your price point. I like mine, and seems to have all the features you are lookin for.

18. lakefx

lakefx Supporting Member

If that's the case, I only have good things to say about the TC BG-250. The EQ works a bit differently than most amps, but I like it.

19. buldog5151bass

Call Carvin. Since it is mail order, you cannot try it out, but they are helpful. I took a chance when I bought my head, but was happy (not as thrilled with the speaker cabinet). They are a good company, and have a good reputation for being straight forward when answering questions.

20. AndrewFord

AndrewFord

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Line 6, TC Electronics, Yamaha
    Yes, just received a BG 250 2X10 myself and sounds incredible, maybe a little more than $350 but definitely worth every penny

21. dalkowski

dalkowski

They'll be happy to help you. They have a good return policy. Shipping to/from Canada may hurt, though.