Combo Amp as Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassISfckingAWE, Oct 28, 2013.

1. bassISfckingAWE

bassISfckingAWE

Hello fellow bassists,

I have the amazing Orange Terror 500w head and was wondering if it is possible to hook it up to my Fender Rumble 150w combo. I'm looking to buy a cab in the future but currently have no money especially after buying the orange head. I would love to get a good feel for the Terror's tone so I wanted to know if I can hook it up to the amp I currently have listed above. Is this possible/good idea? It would be for practice time only, I wouldn't be turning up too loud.

Let me know what you guys think!

Ryan

2. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

It's not too difficult to hook up you new head to the Fender combo, but you will be hard pressed to hear the one of the new head. The Fender combos use cabs that are pretty strongly 'flavored'. The tone from the cab will for the most part cover up the tone of the head.

There is a huge power handling issue (500w vs 150w), but as long as you listen for audible signs of distress while at practice you would be ok. OTOH, given that the heads tone will be 'covered up' by the Fender cabs tone, and that the built in amp is already sized for the driver (provides the max power the cab will handle), there will be no increase in max spl (at least not for very long).

Suggest you watch Craigslist for a non-functioning or beat up bass cab or combo and replace any blown drivers. You could sell the Fender to help cover the cost.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Aside from the problems listed in the above post, the 2nd problem is that your Rumble combo is direct wired to the internal spkr, and there is no input jack to plug your Orange head into. So, you'd need to modify the Rumble first. If this is beyond your capability, then you need to take it to a qualified amp tech, and have it done professionally.