1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

combo amp as extension cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bowe100, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Bowe100

Bowe100

at the moment I'm using a single 4x10 cab with an amp, and im perfectly happy with the tone, and the stage volume its capable of.

however (there's always a however) I sometimes wish I had an extra cabinet, just so I had one closer to my ears, we run a fairly quiet stage, and sometimes me pushing the volume so i can hear it can overwhelm everyone else if im too close to the amp.

now the obvious solution would be just to get another cabinet, however it's a 4 ohm amp and a 4 ohm cab, so cant do that. the next obvious thing to do is get two 8 ohm cabs and call it a day, but I can't really justify it for the few times I may use it.

so I thought why not use a combo amp and put it on top of the cab if needed? fx out of the main amp into the fx return of the combo? also means I get a backup/practice amp in the same package.

so just wondering if anyone else has done such a thing, things I should look out for, any issues im unaware of, and any recommendations for combos that might be upto the task? preferably not too expensive, around the cost of a GK extension cab?

just for reference the amp I have is a 1001rb.

2. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sounds like a job for GK powered cab:
    http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products/powered-cabinets/

Sure, a combo would work as you describe, but unless it's got a low of power, you might struggle balancing the volume with you main amp and cab.

The other solution is just to tilt aim the 4x10 at your head, or raise it off the floor.

3. Bowe100

Bowe100

the GK powered cabs use an xlr input dont they? not just a 1/4" line in

would that work from the DI of the amp into the powered cab then from the cab to the PA?

4. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Not sure, admittedly I thought they were a universal product - but it appears they are optimised to work with dedicated MB series amp and combos with an XLR 'chain out' socket.

However, looking at the manual, it seem you can use a TRS to XLR cable, going from headphone/lineout/chain out.

Maybe email them for an answer?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bowe100

Bowe100

what would be the advantage of using the powered cabinets over a combo?

even looking at the mb combos themselves, they're roughly the same price as the cabs, the same power, but could be used as amps in their own right, only problem with those combos is a lack of an fx loop, so no way to bypass the preamp if just using as a cab.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Honestly, I don't think there is an advantage except possible monetary savings by not having a preamp for it. Me, I'd rather have the pre for the times I don't need a big rig.

8. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

I think the idea is to use them as slaves so you don't have to eq 2 amps.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I get that, but if you want to use just the little cab sometimes, you have to accept whatever comes out of a powered cab rather than having a pre where you can control your tone.

10. Bowe100

Bowe100

if using it just as an extra cabinet, yes

11. Bowe100

Bowe100

it would seem something like a MB212 would be a good option, decent power, not too heavy, will fit on top of my current cab.

the only problem is a lack of FX loop, so no bypassing the combo's preamp, would that cause too many issues coming from the preamp of another amp?

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Matter of taste, that question.