1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Combo Amp Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Cougmeister, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

I want to separate my combo amp into a separate head and speaker. all that connects them is the actual speaker cable. Here's the question - is the speaker cable mono, stereo, or phono? I plan on putting connectors on the ends of the existing cable and possibly make a small speaker cable, but I want to make sure I have the right connectors. Also, will beefy home theater cable work to make a decent speaker cable?

Edit; The combo is a Peavey Max 110
  2. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Speaker cables are ALWAYS mono.

To make make a stereo sound you have 2 mono speakers.

"Phono" is a type of plug. This is a generic term for a 1/4 plug. It's rearly used because there are different 1/4 plugs.

Make sure you use SPEAKER cable. This is different that and instrument cable. The bigger the guage the better.

REPEAT! DO NOT USE INSTRUMENT CABLE for a speaker!!

DON'T use speaker whire your home stereo uses.
  3. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

Well here's the cable I have. Itste same gauge as the wire coming from the head, so I don't see what the problem would be.
  4. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    If it's the same cable that comming from the head now, you're good to go.

Pull the head, make a longer cable. Keep in mind you can get them cheap now though.
  5. nomeX

nomeX

OP said it was the same guage, not the same cable....there's a fine line between comedy and tragedy....

Cougmeister, please make sure that you're using speaker cable for cabs.
  6. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Um. Already covered the speaker cable bit.
  7. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

Here's the pics I tried posting earlier and wouldn't upload. The cable is very similar to what guitar center lists on their site.[​IMG][​IMG]
  8. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The wire is okay for instrument speaker cable use.