1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

Combo + cab possibilities?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SpanishDave, Mar 1, 2014.

1. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

I have been posting recently bout the same subject......
    My reliable, great sounding, well built Hughes and Kettner basskick515 combo.

It is just too too heavy.

I want, a 150/200 combo (like the H&K) with a line out for a cab but that doesn't weigh a ton.

Preferably the combo and cab would be the same brand/brand line.

Any suggestions welcome

2. KeithAlanK

KeithAlanK

What you want is a combo with a speaker output. Look for terms like "Extension Speaker Output" in the product description.
    "Line out" usually refers to the voltage level that comes from a CD player or other device like a bass preamp.

I've tried adding a 410 cab to a couple of combos over the years and it never failed to allow more volume/headroom/clarity depending on what I was going for, so the concept is sound provided you do your part in getting the EQ and gain structure under control.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 to the SPEAKER OUT, not a line out. Most lower cost combo's do not offer this option, except for Peavey. Markbass combo's will have an ext spkr jack as well.

4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

As the others above said - you need a "SPEAKER OUT", not a "line out" for that. Also the new super lightweight GK bass combo amps have a "Chain Output" for running powered extension bass cabinets.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Thanks for the correction. Yes I meant a speaker out to run an extra cab.
    I am slowly deciding that for reason of money, I am going to try adding a cab to the combo I currently have with the idea of perhaps buy a head and cab later.
    Will adding 2x10/2x12 to my 1x15 combo work?
    By work I mean.... Is there any definite no-no's to mixing speaker sizes? I have read some very strong opinions on the subject here on TB. I know and am the first to say that it's down to personal taste, and will happily listen to all opinions.

7. Linnin

Linnin

Fender's new Rumble line is exactly what you are looking for. They've just hit Europe, and are due to arrive here in America the end of this month. Be sure to check them out.

8. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

9. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

When you add another speaker to a combo amp, make sure the speaker is the same brand/model and was actually designed to run with that particular combo amp. Too many times, the extra cabinet will end up being A LOT louder than the combo amp. I added a Hartke 410XL to a GK 115 combo (from the early 90's) when I was starting out and the 410 ended up drowning out anything GK combo did. I then got rid of the GK combo and bought a head. The result was more volume and a much better tone through the 410.

I suggest you stop looking at combos and get an amp/head. You will gain more volume immediately. There are many lightweight cabs out there - start looking.

10. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

What about adding a Hartke 2x12 transporter cab to my combo?
    What do we think about that?

11. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1394396976.143853.jpg
    This is the back of my combo head

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

If it's a 1x15 combo amp, a closely matched 1x15 ext cab is the way to go. Mixing a 15 with a 212 is not a good match at all, very unbalanced.

13. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Ok thanks. That's the sort of advice and help I need.
    I have only ever used combos and never with an extention cab.

14. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

The 2x12 would probably have as good a chance as anything at working out. It would likely be coasting relative to the power going through the 15. From that point of view the only cab to discount out of hand is a very small one.

Presumably matched 15 H&K are unavailable. You'll have to try out a few cabs to find a good match.

15. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Thats The One single biggest problem I will have.
    I live about a 20 minute drive from the middle of nowhere as far as music stores go. (Vigo Spain if you're bored and want to look).
    The secondhand market has such slim pickings that it's barely existent.
    I was about to jump far the Hartke transporter 2x12 simply because one is available secondhand 250km away. (A 2 and a half hour drive.....)
    I was going to go for the 2x12 to add to my combo but I think that will actually make the problem worse.
    I want and need a smaller option.
    I have a gigs at the end of the month and beginning of next but it's probably time to put up some ads on ebay and segundamano and cross my fingers.

16. Linnin

Linnin

You can always order one of the new Fender Rumble 115 cabs. It's 8 ohms and will work just fine with your H&K. Can you order from Thomann?

17. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

I did heck out the New Rumbles and they look great.
    Really really don't want to add another 15" to this combo.

18. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Sure to sound better than an orangutan giving birth in a 44gallon drum, past that, no guarantee.

19. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Hahahaha, yup, thomann, musicstore or woodbrass will be my options.
    Not sure they stock orangutans, are the New Rumbles that bad? Can't honestly say I've ever tried one of the older models.

20. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Nothing against Rumble. It's just there is no predicting which mixed cabs will sound good to your ears.

So long as the lows have coherent phase two mixed cabs always get much louder than the one. The issue is how well the mids and highs sum and whether that result is pleasing to you.