1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Combo VS Head/Cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nopalfunk, Dec 16, 2013.

1. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

Hi everyone :help:

I need your help, I'm thinking in buy a new amp, but I've been looking around, and now I'm a little confused.

I love Justin Chancellor's tone, but I like Jaco Patorious's tone as well (Who not!!), I like Flea but James Jamerson also....and the list goes on...I play covers, mostly: RATM, QOTSA, RHCP, Tool, Rush, Led Zeppelin, The Who, etc etc....

For these reason, I've been searching my own tone, I'm looking something aggressive, with growl, strong mid range, clean but powerful...

I have some options here in my town, but I don't know which could be the best, I can buy a GK 700RB head plus a Hartke XL 4.5 cab, or a GK 1001RB/2x12 Neo Combo....according understand, both can be upgrade with and extra cab if I want more power, but for now, we're playing in small gigs and for practice....not medium gigs in a near future..:rollno:

Can someone help me with some review? pros and cons? weight, sound, eq, power....

thanks
  2. tgriley62

tgriley62

You are going to get a lot of debate on this issue. The best advice I can give you is that if you have a chance to try different amps do it. Just make sure and take your own bass and use the EQ knobs and find one that gives you the tone you are looking for
  3. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

4. jam -1

jam -1

Hi Nopalfunk

I have a Trace Elliot 1215 combo with A1x15 Trace Elliot cabint to go with it 600 watts total I play the same groups as you do Ive had Ampeg Ibanez amps in the past and I just love the tone that Im getting with the Trace it also has a 12 band eq check out youtube for this amp they are pricey but well worth the cost hope this helps you

Good Luck
    Jeff:bassist:
  5. zon6c-f

zon6c-f

I own both: G C Acoustic B-200 Combo and B-200 AMP/ CAB seperates.

Both have identical power/ tone bank, controls.

The B-200 combo is the best combo I have ever owned/ used. I bought it for its abilty to easily handle Low B, whereas many others failed that test. Both have plenty enough power and both have DI-OUT if needed. I have submitted many positive comments on this board regarding the combo version.

HOWEVER.. the combo is a little heavy for an older person, such as myself.

So we bought the head/ cab seperates model. Although a 2- trip load, it is MUCH easier to load by myself if needed.

Your experience may vary.
  6. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

Thanks, for now the weight will not be a problem...My decision will be influenced by the sound, seems the 700RB and the 1001RB are practically the same thing, I'm a little bit concerned about the cab, some people says not good things about 12" speakers (They can be lost in the mix, they're will not have good low end etc), I don't know if a 212 can give me the sound i'm looking for, or if the 4x10 can do it better, but the 4x10 cab it's a Hartke XL, it's supposed the high end series of Hartke, but I don't know how those aluminum cones are....I'll spend the same money here in my town for the GK combo vs the GK700rb+Hartke 4.5 xl, because hartke cabs are very cheap compared with GK and others...
  7. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

"Some People" don't know what they are talking about then.

The only thing the "size" of a speaker tells you is - the size of the speaker.
  8. Dmwphoto

Dmwphoto what does this light/\ do? Supporting Member

there are a bunch of 212s that rock the house. SP212 Orange is just but one of them...
  9. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

Thanks, actually my dream rig is a GK head and Mesa Boogie cabs, but here in my town it's practically impossible get one, and the postage cost to bring it here it's almost the same price of the cab....($200 or $300 dlls)....

So, if i'm not wrong, the GK could give a better approach of the sound I'm looking for, of course in a small scale....so, I'm going for the combo...if anyone have a good reason to recommend me go for the Harte 4.5 xl/GK 700rb, please let me know....
  10. Dmwphoto

where do you live? Zimbawe?
  11. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

Lol....not, Mexico City, but the import fees are a joke here, and of course I'm talking about a 4x10 cab...
  12. Dmwphoto

ah, makes sense then.
  13. nopalfunk

nopalfunk