1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Combo Woes...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Nugun, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Nugun

Nugun

Alright, I hate being "that guy" as I know this topic has been done to absolute death, but as time goes on, gear changes and not all circumstances are the same and blah blah blah... What I'm trying to say is I've used the search feature and google with little to no results (been at it for a few days too) and so now I come to the general TB public for assistance.

Soooo I'm looking for a combo. There I said it. It's going to be replacing the Ampeg BA210SP I currently own at the moment. It has plenty of power, but I need something I can move around easier that doesn't weigh 70+ lbs and seeing as it is meant to be a practice/small gig amp primarily anyway, I need something I could haul around easier (much easier). So I guess you could say I'm downsizing a bit here.

Anyway, what I am looking for is a 12 that can hold it's own during practice and rehearsals (possibly small gigs?) with a guitarist and drummer (power trio) doing alt rock/metal covers. So i was thinking maybe 180+ watts that can tilt back and *maybe* have the option to add an extension later on. It doesn't have to be lightweight and super tiny, but a bit compact and not completely back breaking would be nice. I was doing some searching and I saw the SWR Workingpro 12 matched up pretty nicely to what I was looking for, but I would like to peruse my other options and unfortunately I'm not having much luck perusing on my own :help:.

Now here's the hard part (sorry guys :meh:). Seeing as I'm a budgeting college kid here, its gotta be around (preferably lower than) the $350 mark. I'm definitely going to be going used here, plus I am going to move the Ampeg out of here so that should give me a few more options and might allow me to be a bit more flexible with my budget, but you all know how it goes.

So does anybody have any suggestions?

2. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    How about a Carvin MB12 or MB15 and matching 115 extension cab later on? Or a GK MB115 or MB112? A single 12 may not cut it with a rock/metal three piece depending on volume. I need around 200 watts with two 10's or a 15 to move enough air for my three piece.

3. Nugun

Nugun

The Carvin was actually one of the combos I was looking at along with the SWR. Also, luckily for me my drummer and guitarist are sensible when it comes to practices or rehearsals and I've got a bigger set-up for when bigger gigs come along. Another thing is we like to taste different genres too, so we're not always all that loud anyway thank heavens. :D

BTW, I like your band! I'm enjoying the folksy vibe which I've learned to appreciate more out here in Stephenville, TX. :D

4. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Cool, sounds a lot like my scenario. I use an MB10 as a monitor for upright bass at my folk band's shows. There are a wealth of tones available from these particular amplifiers at a great price. The MB210 with a 210MBE later on might be worth a look too. I find myself often wondering if I should have got the 210. You get a bit better dispersion than the 15/15 if you run them vertically.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    I always liked the Hartke Kickback 12.

7. Nugun

Nugun

Have you had the opportunity to use it with a drummer? Does it cut through well enough and/or can it be heard?

8. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Your rehersal space / drummer / guitarist will differ greatly from my experience. Plus it's been awhile since I used one.

9. Cutty

Cutty

Have a look around for a used Roland DB500,12"speaker,160w,and it's loud!and weighs 50lbs.

10. Nugun

Nugun

Is it easy to move around or are those a clumsy 50 lbs?

11. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

12. arai

arai

13. Nugun

Nugun

Do they have anything smaller than a 15? I don't want to seem overly picky, but I'm trying to avoid the size of a full on 15.

14. Nugun

Nugun

Does anyone have any information on the Hartke Hydrive 112c? It kinda looks like it's spec'ing out to be a contender, but I'm skeptical about the almost 60 lb weight and I here they can sound a bit thin...

I'm also really interested in Ashdowns' Electric Blue combos. Anyone have a word on their 112?

15. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    does it have to be a combo? i know that going head+cab will bounce the price up, but some of the (now) older micro sized heads go used for pretty cheap. that could allow for different cab options, too.

16. Nugun

Nugun

I'm actually set on the head/cab thing. I'm in need of a combo for ease of transportation and price mostly so I was trying to avoid the micro head/cab thing.

17. PetersReviews

PetersReviews

The BG250 isn't that big. After using many small amps, this is not any bigger than a lot of 12" speaker amps and it's light! Built-in effects if that matters to you. I'm torn between this, a GK 15 or 2x10 or the Carvin 2x10.

18. Nugun

Nugun

Man I was just checking out the dimensions on the BG 250 compared to the Workingpro and I'm gonna have to say you're right... I think it just shot to the top of my list here.

19. soulman969

soulman969

TC doesn't but look at the GK MB112 which will be in the same price range. Good volume and punch but not quite the balls of a BG250.

I've used my MB112 on dozens of smaller gigs and in rehearals with no problems but with a single 12" you won't a get a real big bottom end.

But.....you can add a 200w powered module to that MB112 if or when you need something more. Nice feature GK just added to the combo line.

I have both an MB112 and a BG250 and they're both great sounding solid lightweight mid powered combos. You really can't go wrong with either in this price range.

PS: A BG250 is only about 20% larger than an MB112 as far as cabinet size goes and just 7lbs heavier so size shouldn't be a major factor for you.

20. Nugun

Nugun

Yeah I think that the BG250 is actually what I am leaning toward at this moment... Now the thing is to find one used for a decent price to see what's out there.

21. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    FWIW, I did not like the BG250 I tried briefly at Guitar Center. Then again, I didn't give it time enough to really get a good impression. I definitely liked the Carvins better in passing.