1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

'come together' question

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by Play Less Cool, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Play Less Cool

Play Less Cool

i have been learning to sing and play the bass lately so i was going back to all the bass lines i learnt when i first started playing, one of those being come together.
    when playing the main riff, i used to slide from the 7th fret on the D string to the 12th fret on the D string using my ring finger, which then puts me into position to play the 10th fret on the G string with my index finger. but it sounds slightly off.

what notes does/did everyone else start the slide from and finish the slide at when playing the main riff of come together.
  2. obimark

obimark

The slide is on the A-string- from the 8th fret to the 12th fret...then 10th fret g-string, 12th fret D-string. (Vibrato on the last note)

For the first low d note you could play it at the 5th fret A-string (or the 10th fret E-string) but the 5th fret "D" "sounds" more sonically right for what Paul played and the slide seems smoother from that position.
  3. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy Supporting Member

Sounds like we've got some unique takes on this one... here's mine:

G|--------10---7\-|
    D|0-0-5/7---------|
    A|----------------|
    E|----------------|
  4. obimark

obimark

G-------------------10-----
    D----------------------12~
    A----5---5---8/12---------
    E---------------------------

My take- although you could do this with the first two notes on open D as well.
  5. PlayTheBass

I'm digging this version, obimark.
  6. PlayTheBass

OK, I'm changing my answer... lol! In my defense, I learned this line long before the internet, but man, this makes it too easy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkxi-3omo4o

G|------------------|
    D|-------15----12\--|
    A|5-5/12------------|
    E|------------------|

It is SO cool hearing Paul's line naked like that. I love the outro.
  7. mellowinman

mellowinman

Paul is SO cool.
  8. obimark

obimark

Nice- like this too, kind of gets into that high area we don't get up to as much.
  9. PlayTheBass

Agreed. It breaks that 12th-fret wall!
  10. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I'm pretty similar. I hit the opening two notes with by middle finger and slide with my middle finger, hit the F with my pointer finger, and then the ending D note with my ring finger, slide back down and start it all over again...
    G|-------10---------|
    D|-------------12\--|
    A|5-5/12------------|
    E|------------------|

Definitely an awesome groove but those little variations Paul throws in throw me off sometimes if I'm trying to stay accurate to the recording.
  11. slagbass

slagbass Supporting Member

That's my take on it as well.