Comfortable guitar straps?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DLI848, Dec 30, 2012.

1. DLI848

DLI848

Can you guys recommend some comfortable guitar straps? Post links to websites or ebay auctions for ones you can recommend please!

My guitar strap at the moment is a Planet Waves padded strap, and I'm holding up a Spector Euro bass 5 strings for practice. After about 40 minutes or so, the strap really hurts my shoulder. My band practices usually last 2+ hours.

Thanks guys!
  2. Red_Merkin

Red_Merkin

3. baba

baba

Comfort Strap is my favorite after trying many for many years.
  4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

The Comfort Strapp looks interesting might have to check it out.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

The Pro Comfort Strapp is probably the most comfortable I've ever used. I used them exclusively for about 15 years. The only thing I don't care for is that the "Long" version is just a little bit too short for my preferences. But if it's the right length for you, try one. One of my guitar players (who plays a Gibson Les Paul) even started using them after slipping my bass on one day. He used to always complain about how heavy his guitar was on longer gigs. I told him, "Get yourself a real strap and stop complaining!" He's never complained since then.

Another one that I think is very comfortable is the Mono "Betty" strap. Check them out too. And they come in various colors, whereas the Comfort Strapp only comes in black.
  7. 1954bassman

1954bassman

8. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

I just ordered the second one down on the page, The Sling Strap as I don't want to drill another hole in my Alembic. I've thought about the need to use a waist strap for a long time, taking the weight off the shoulders and back. My back aches part way through rehearsal. We'll see how it fares. http://slingerstraps.com/
  9. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

10. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

I use the 4" Italia's.

http://italiastraps.com/guitar-straps-uk.html

I sold my comfort straps etc. as I did not like the spongy/springy feel of them. The wide leather straps are heavy buy they distribute the weight well and are very comfortable and secure. I have one 2.5" Italia that I bought here on TB and that is on my lightest P bass and is also nice but, in my opinion, padding does not compete with a wide strap....at least for my shoulder.

Buy one, get one free too.
  11. duff beer

duff beer

Hit the gym and build some muscle...
  12. pasta4lnch

pasta4lnch

The Betty was made very nice. A lot better then most others I tried.

Fwiw in the end I didn't like all the comfy straps I tried. Too bulky, too felty - hard to adjust instrument, too heat absorbent. All just felt uncomfy for some reason or another... I stuck w my planet waves strap :D have them on all my instruments now. Ymmv
  13. TXLawDawg

TXLawDawg Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

14. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I've had good luck with 3" wide Franklin leather straps. They are comfortable, seem very well made and are attractive without being too flashy.

I currently own one for each of my American Fenders (3) and want to pick up one for my Music Man.
  15. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I have problems with pain in my shoulder...sharp, biting pain in my trapezius muscle. The last year it has gotten worse. Much of this is the result of a neck fusion (which has caused chronic neck and shoulder pain.) I had the fusion in '96. I started using a wide, fairly padded Levy strap over a year ago that helped slightly, but things got worse. Next, I bought a wide Neo-tech strap that was a little better. A month ago I bought a Singer Hip Strap, and used it through long rehearsals, and many church services (I'll gig with it this weekend.)

I used a Fender Go-Around strap in high school in the mid-late 60's which was a similar concept after pulling a muscle wrestling. I used it for over a year. (Who knows where it went?)

So far, the Slinger has been a God-send. It took a little time to get used to it. The bass sits a little lower than I wore it with a strap, but it's still at a comfortable height. Neck angle is adjustable. I was afraid it would really restrict the ability to change neck angle while playing, which I do often to avoid wrist fatigue, but I can still do it with this strap. I installed flush mount strap locks on my two main basses and will on the rest of them. It took a few hours use to get my shoulders to just relax while playing, after a lifetime of conventional strap use, but once I did, it really became a joy to play, even for extended periods.

At first, I kept thinking of ways to "improve" the design...maybe with a wider back section...maybe something padded...maybe less slippery, but as time went on, I realized the design is just fine.

Many of us bass players are rather portly with generous mid-sections. This strap may not be for you. I've had a bit of a paunch most of my life, but in later years, mine has been shrinking. This strap should be good up to 42" waists. Many bass players are "high waisters" and for many of us, we started with our basses very low, and as we age they rise about an inch every year or so. This isn't a strap for high waisters.
  16. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave

look at Souldier straps.

http://www.souldier.us/Default.aspx

they are hand sewn from seatbelt material and come in widths for guitar and bass. they have a nice selection of materials to decorate them (really, too nice...it was hard to make up our mind)

my son says they are the most comfortable he has ever used.

bought two for my son, then we had a local seamstress sew planet waves straplocks to the ends. these straplocks are crazy good. and they fit every bass he has without any modding at all.

[​IMG]
  17. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

+1 I love my Levy's Leather straps! When I get a new instrument, 2 things happen... a Levy's Strap and a set of Schaller Straplocks matching the instrument's hardware. The weight of the bass determines whether I will select a wide strap or not, to distribute the weight more evenly across my shoulder.
  18. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I like my Italia straps. I have been using them for 5+ years.

lowsound
  19. pasta4lnch

pasta4lnch

wow - these look very cool!
  20. dave64o

dave64o A legendary low talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

The Comfort Strapp isn't bad but, to me, it's a little too springy. I then tried a Neotech and liked that much better. Comfortable, doesn't slide around, and just enough give to take some of the weight off without the bass bouncing around. I still have the Comfort Strapp on a bass I don't use often, but I got Neotechs for all my other basses.
  21. macrocheesium

macrocheesium

I use the Neotech Super Bass strap with my heavy basses and they all feel great. Relatively cheap when compared to other comfy straps, too.