Coming back to the bass after a long time and wanting to get a 6-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

I used to be a member of this community a long, long time ago when I was in middle and high school. I was a casual bass player, but I switched to the saxophone for marching and jazz band and the bass kinda fell by the wayside. I'm nearing the end of my masters program and I just got a job at a large music instrument chain, and it seems like the perfect opportunity to come back to the bass. The employee pricing helps, too!

I like unusual instruments that can function as rhythm or solo instruments, and I'm really wanting to get a six string bass. I've played with an Ibanez 506 in the store, and I liked it well enough with the exception of the low B string, which I found to be pretty buzzy. When I had a more experienced player try it they were able to cut a lot of that out, so I bet it's mostly my lack of technique. I'm looking at the 506, the 1206E, and the Schecter Studio 6. The Schecter is the one I'm really leaning towards, but I wanted to get some advice.

I mostly plan on playing solo and acoustic indie/jam rock for now, though I love funk, rock, and jazz as well and would like to play those styles eventually. I'm also going to be taking lessons to get back into shape as soon as possible. I'm a beginner so I don't need the best instrument, but I am an adult looking for something nice that I won't have to replace for a long time, if ever. I'd like to play all three and then make my decision, but six string instruments are special order in most places and I haven't been able to find one besides the one 506.

So between the three, which would you choose? As I said, the Schecter is in the lead right now despite not having played it, but the reviews I've read seem to indicate that the Schecter build is better than the Ibanez. I have the feeling that none of them will be "bad," per se, and no matter which one I choose I'll be happy. It's just that given the choice, I'd like to pick the one that will make me the happiest.
  2. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I was out of the music picture for a very long time. I had already owned a 5-string Ibanez SR885 (& still own it, going on 19 years now.) I have no experience with Schecter, but many TB'ers enjoy their instruments. I can tell you Ibanez are quite easy to play with their thin necks.

Now, the business at hand. Extended range basses are fun! The basics are always priority. Remember to pay homage to the humble 4-string that started it all. There's just something about the ability of moving between bass runs, upper range melodies, and chording. I own basses with 4, 5, 6, & 7-strings.
  3. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

I have a Schecter stiletto studio 6, it's a great bass. I have no complaints about it and I like it much better than the few sr506 I tried.
  4. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Schecter necks tend to be skinnier in width and taller in the cross section than an Ibanez. In other words, a Schecter neck leans more towards a J bass kind of small. If it is a string through version, the Schecter will sing with smooth soft notes rather than the attack from the bright Ibby. This is important because the Schecter would then be better for chording, but the Ibby would be better for a more percussive rhythm.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Wallace320

Wallace320

I'd suggest SR1206E Premium, 'cause the attack, even in passive mode, is peculiar
    Yet I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for chords, IMHO

Cheers,
    Wallace
  7. India_Sierra

India_Sierra

The 1206E would be my choice. The Schecter coming dead last, I've just never been 'wowed' by their instruments. I would go for the Ibanez, and if you want to play a 6 string, then go for it! It'll all come back to you pretty quickly. There have been some times recently when I've had to put the bass down for a couple of weeks at a time because I was so busy, both at work and at home, but when you pick it up again it quickly comes back to you!
  8. ghostly

ghostly

@Sgroh87:
    I was in the same situation as you until recently! Due to school, and playing guitar in a band for a while, my good buddy, and one true love, the bass got left behind!

I would recommend the Schecter hands down. Their build quality and tone tend to be quite excellent. While I do own an Ibanez SR 305M currently, and have owned or played many of their various 6's in the past, the brightness of the tone is quite noticeable. My experience with the Stiletto 5 and 6 is that they are well made, comfortable (to me), and have an excellent tonal range. I also find the Stiletto to balance better on a strap.

Now, I am not hating on Ibanez basses at all. They have made some excellent basses over the years, of which I would also dare to include my SR 305M. I just feel that given the comfort, tone, and features, the Schecter is a much better deal. If I were to pick up another 6, and had like $800 USD laying around, I would get it. Seeing as you are working for a 'large music instrument chain', the discounted price will be WELL worth it IMHO.

Hope that helps! :bassist:
  9. Immigrant

Immigrant

Schecter over 506, 1206 over Schecter...maybe. Depends on how it feels. Schecter build quality is underrated IMO. Personally, I'd never buy another Ibby other than a Prestige model or the new ATK805.

Maybe if you have the cash, you can look at a Grooveline. Not my cup o tea though. Looks like a loogie Shrek hacked up.
  10. Wallace320

Wallace320

+1

plus I'm almost collectin' new ATKs
    no way as versatile as they used to be, but they kick serious arses:bag:

Cheers,
    Wallace
  11. mfbolton

mfbolton Freelance Bassist Supporting Member

I have the SR1206 and love it. With it's Nordstrand pickups and better electronics it sounds way better than SR506 to my ears. You can check my SOUNDCLOUD page for various examples of the 1206 in action.
  12. hgiles

hgiles

I just started playing bass and I have a 706 and a 3006E Prestige. I would think a 506 would be just great to re-learn on.
  13. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

The important thing to keep in mind is that the bass is not going to be my main instrument (I'm a saxophonist at heart), and I'm not looking to become a professional musician. I would like to play with other people, perhaps in clubs or in small public settings, but I don't plan on making performances my main source of income. I would call myself a casual musician. But again, I don't want to get a cheap instrument that I'm going to have to replace in a couple years anyway.

With all that being said, the price difference between the 506 and the 1206 is almost enough for two really nice mouthpieces for my sax which, in case you didn't know, affects the sound of the performer even more than the instrument itself. Is the 1206 REALLY that much better than the 506 for a non-pro player?

I liked the feel of the 506 that I played, with two exceptions. First of all, there was a lot of fret noise. I can attribute that to my lack of technique, in all likelihood. I also had an issue with the low B being very… buzzy. By that I mean that the B string had a pretty wide vibration and was not as resonant as any of the other strings. It seemed weak and flat comparatively. I understand from what I've read that the B string has a tendency to act like that, but I didn't expect it to be this noticeable. The tech at the store said that that was something they could adjust, but it was still a concern.
  14. gary m

gary m

Don't laugh...head over to www.rondomusic.com and check out Kurt's interesting stable of budget sixers. You might just be surprised.
  15. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

Is this the hgiles from SotW?
  16. hgiles

hgiles

Yep, you got me! I am a saxophonist too! You oughtta buy my 706 bass!