1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Coming out of the closet

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Mar 3, 2014.

1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I love this women because she is real, in touch with who she is and respects herself and other people.
    This really isn't a talk about gay rights but is a message for us all about being who we are and allowing others to be who they are.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tedtalks/watch-what-happened-when-_b_4861854.html

I have been able to talk about some things here on Talkbass that some of you disagree with. Still many of you have seen past the potential hot button issues to see who I am as a human being. I thank you for letting me come out of the closet here as a disciple of Jesus. :p
    I wonder what the speaker in the link would thing about me saying that? I have a feeling she would be okay with it.
    We have been able to talk about some potentialy explosive subect here recently without flaming each other. I am confident we can talk about this too.

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I do my best to be supportive of those coming out. It must be a scary way to live thinking that there are people waiting to tear you down as soon as your sexual orientation is revealed.

3. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

I dream of the day when the expression coming out will be obsolete.

4. slobake

I really like the way she describes what a "closet" is. It doesn't have to be sexual orientation it can be all kinds of things. She says it is a difficult talk with someone. I would take it further and say it is anything that holds us back from being true to ourselves.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Having been out since 1997 - all I can say is, it was/still is, a very liberating experience, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

7. slobake

Very cool, I am glad you can be yourself here. If I ever figure out who I am I will be that person here. :p

8. slobake

I know the talk is a little long but I think it is worth the time to listen. She has a great sense of humor too.

9. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Well said.

10. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I didn't watch the clip, but I like to think that the "coming out" movement in general is a product of the internet age. The anonymity that it provides alongside the support and community of similar thinking people, for better or for worse will provide like-minded allies for any group.

11. slobake

In the clip she not only talks about coming out but accepting others as they try in their own awkward, clumsly ways to encourage others. Some comments people may make can be almost embarrasing like when a woman at a wedding said "My husband sometimes wears a pink shirt." We can choose to ridicule and/or get angry at how out of touch people may be with our situation or we can choose to recognize that they are trying to build bridges even though they may seem clueless.
    This may turn into a discussion about gay rights and I am okay with that. The link goes beyond just a discusccion of gay rights and talks about struggles common to us all.

12. buzzbass

buzzbass Supporting Member

I look forward to a day when people don't have to "come out". Let's just let each other live in peace and not be judged, period.

13. Unprofessional

Unprofessional Supporting Member

"Tomorrow, who's going to fuss?"
    P. Westerberg

14. blastoff99

blastoff99

I saw that talk over the weekend. She makes some really good points that, as you said, are not exclusive to sexual orientation. I liked the bit about wearing her armor to do battle with a 4-year-old, when all the kid wanted was a pancake. :)

15. slobake

Of course I do have to admit I have a hard time accepting the guy walking around with half a watermelon squashed on his head and carrying a large knife. :eek:

16. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I guess you're coming out of the closet as a "full watermelon squashed on his head" elitist.:|

17. matante

matante

I was in college in the early '90s when it seemed that everyone was coming out as gay and you could even say it was trendy to be gay. I don't see how 'coming out' as a homosexual is a big deal anymore unless you live in a hick town.

I have a cousin who came out of the closet when he was about 18 or so. He made this very dramatic speech and at the end we all laughed because everyone had known he was gay since he was 5 years old. No one cared anyway.

18. slobake

19. tplyons

tplyons

Yep, had two friends in college who came out during freshman year... both of them we responded with "we know".

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I think the expression is overrated and worn out.

-Mike

21. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Exactly. I don't think most educated, open-minded people care.