1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Coming soon; Steinbacker fretless bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JIO, Feb 26, 2012.

1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    A "new project/build" seed was planted a week ago when I bought a very nice lined fretless Steinberger neck on eBay. I originally was planning on creating a hybrid Thunderbird-body headless bass w/it, but when I got it I changed my mind. The 24 fret neck has a very similar width to a RIC 4003. Not knowing much about Steinbergers, I had no idea! I own a RIC and love it in every way, so the thought of a unique custom RIC fretless/headless bass hit the spot! I then bought the DB Steinberger bridge and drew up a template for what it will look like. (as shown) I already had the perfect pu's; a Bartalini bucker at the neck for that sweet dub bottom, and a EMG J at the bridge for.., you know- the J tone! Passive (to start out with) V/T V/T w/pu selector 3-way switch (ala RIC) and a custom cut 1 piece (shown are from my parts bin) MOP pickguard. The body w/be cut from a 1 piece maple slab and coated w/a unique abalone-look finish w/black binding.

I plan on upgrading my membership w/TB so I can post larger pics - once I get the wood I'll post a step by step. Stay tuned! :hyper:

Attached Files:

bluesdogblues likes this.
  2. reverendrally

reverendrally

3. rocmonster

rocmonster

subscribed!

Can't wait to see your progress. I also want to built a -backer, most likely this summer using a piece of 70 year old mahogany for a body. Not sure if I will make it headed or headless- depends on your anticipated success!
    Good Luck!

4. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bobodechimp

bobodechimp

7. JIO

Disclosures:
  8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

an actual EMG J is itself active and won't mix with another passive pickup.

9. JIO

Disclosures:
    Good point! I'll then go the active route w/both. I made a custom VOX teardrop-style fretless bass w/the same Bartilini bucker ala Stingray w/a John East 9V preamp and it sounds awesome!

10. MPU

MPU

What's the string spacing on that bridge? I kind of remember that these new Steinberger bridges have too wide spacing for at least Moses necks. I'm not sure if that's the case with Steinberger necks.
    Marko

11. bassteban

bassteban

Thank GOD that's not a typo. :)

12. Bornagnhooligan

Bornagnhooligan

13. JIO

Disclosures:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

The DB bridge string spacing is 5.5cm / the neck is 5.5cm at the butt and 3.5cm at the nut. I drew it up at 20cm from bridge rests to the neck butt. When the nut to butt taper happens, it may just work. There's a possibility I will need to do some (hopefully slight) modification of the rests (side to side) if it doesn't. :meh: I guess it's why it's called a project.

Wish me luck and continue to keep me honest!

14. JIO

Disclosures:
    I'm not certain if anyone is still visiting this thread, so I may need to repost. I haven't given up on my Steinbacker project, I just have a life that keeps getting in the way. :rolleyes:
    I scanned the ebay guitar body-blank options and a 1 piece maple blank was nowhere to be found. Actually no maple was to be found, regardless. OK, wood is from trees and possibly maple is rare/scarce right now. So I thought, just because it's a RIC-like body, does it HAVE to be maple? Obvious answer is no. A pale, minimal character/grained tone-wood is what I wanted. I found and bought a very pale/nicely subtle charactered piece of Korina. Korina is not only African mahogany (mahogany is a great tone wood in my opinion) but is the same wood that original Gibson Flying V's and explorers were made of. (historic cred) Actually not surprising as Gibson was a mahogany-centric maker after all.
    Besides, I figured tonally, the deep/dark mahogany type tone (ala T-birds) would balance out the clinical brightness of the Steinberger composite fretless neck. We'll see.
    So it's Korina, which is cool, that this hybred will be made of.
    I'll probably repost when I get it and begin the process. Is anyone still interested? :meh:

15. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Of course! This sounds like an excellent project, much like wraub's Rickenberger and similar hybrid-headless builds.

Also, you get to make it from korina - that I have to see. :D

16. JIO

Disclosures:
    The Korina should be here tomorrow or the day after. I got 4 authentic RIC V/T knobs (w/inset screws-not the knock-off press-on types), so the only thing I need once I get started is a good diagram of wiring for 2 pu's w/2 volume/2 tone pots (one V&T for each pu), a 3-way switch (pu selector) and 9v battery.

The Korina is air dried between 7%-9% moisture content. My last project I used a kiln-dried piece of spalted maple and had no problems w/it. Are the percents of the Korina good to go, or will I need to further dry it out before finishing it? Any insights will be appreciated.

17. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Ric has their VVTT wiring diagram on their site.

18. JIO

Disclosures:
    Like "Bones" used to say to Captain Kirk on Star Trek... "Jim- I'm a doctor not a miracle worker!", or whatever he used to say.

My version is - I'm an artist/musician - not a tech person. In order to best continue w/this project, I need help getting my pics to appear, and as large as those who have achieved this on tb. Not after clicking a link, as the pic I'm attempting to display here, but when I add pics to this thread. I joined photobucket and downloaded pics there related to this thread, including this one, but I can't figure out how to post them big and instantaneously. I own a mac and if it's step by step - I know it can't be that difficult. Once I get clued in, I have progress pics to post - including this one of the planed korina w/an outline of the Steinbacker body.

Thank anyone ahead of time for offering that step by step.

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r494/Jioreo/IMG_3431.jpg

19. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Here's the trick:

When creating a new post, go into Advanced mode by clicking either Post Reply at the bottom of the thread or the Go Advanced in the Quick Reply below.
    Then, you'll see the Insert Image button in the top row - it'll open a dialog window where you can paste the image URL.
    You can get the image URL from your Photobucket by Ctrl+clicking the image and selecting Copy Image URL. Then you can return to the tab where you're inserting the image and paste it there, confirm with OK

The text box will display something that looks something like this:
    Code:
    [ IMG ]http://...photobucket.com/... ... /... .jpg[ /IMG ]
    - that's what a properly linked image looks like (with a normal URL and without the extra spaces.). Then add the rest of the post text around and post as usual.

For a better trick, when you paste the image, add "th_" to the filename of that image. Once the forum creates the whole IMG shebang, select all of it with your mouse, then click the Insert Link icon (three places left of the Image button), and then paste the same URL without the "th_" bit. When you post it, people will see the thumbnail that can be clicked to open a big image - this is useful if the image was taken from a camera or cellphone without resizing.

20. JIO

Disclosures:
    Thank you for your help Stealth, but I'm still not clear on how this is supposed to happen.

When you say 'insert image button', do you refer to the (attach) paperclip icon? If so, I'm aware of that route and it only gives me thumbnails.
    Also, when you say 'Ctrl+clicking the image and selecting Copy Image URL' - I hover my pointer over the pic on photobucket and a box appears with; Email & IM/Direct link/HTML code/IMG code. (only) If I click, say IMG code - it states "copy" and when I paste it to where I'm writing the text - it comes up as a thumbnail only.
    I want it to appear within the text as a big clearly visible photo - not a small clickable link/thumbnail.

With so many people posting so many big clear non-clickable/linked pictures - why is this so difficult?

21. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

With photobucket there will be a box to the right side of the screen after you enlarge a picture and it will have 3 or 4 boxes of text that are each labelled. Copy and paste the text from the box labelled "IMG" into the thread wherever you want the picture to show up in your text and you'll have the full size image right there in the thread:).

While you're typing up the post it'll just be the line of text that you copy and pasted, but when you submit the post that text will turn into the image.