1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Comments/criticism?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by reese84, Oct 25, 2012.

1. reese84

reese84

Hey guys,
    So im a senior in high school and im getting ready for my undergraduate college auditions, and this is the first part of the prescreening video that will be part of my application to rice and cim. just wondering what you guys think i can do to make it better.
    Thanks!
    eric

2. reese84

reese84

oops forgot to link the video...

3. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Sounds good! A few things-

-Occasional pitch issues, but only mild
    -The scherzo should be more in time than you're taking it- don't take too many liberties with
    tempo, like at the end of phrases.
    -Try to pay more attention to dynamics throughout everything- especially in the trio

Sidenote- I'm a freshman at CIM, and they just added the prescreening requirement. From what I understand Scott and Max won't be doing much aggressive limiting of applicants, unless they get an absurdly high number of tapes.

4. reese84

reese84

hey thanks dude! how are you liking cim/who are you studying with? i visited there during the summer and got a lesson with max, he seemed like an excellent teacher

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. braizahn

braizahn

What's up Errc!!!! Sounds great man if I had to comment on anything it would just be

- tempo changes slightly when your dynamic Changes. Learning the other instrument parts in the symphony may fix this issue. Especially for brass.
    - for the scherzo you might be working a little harder than you need to be
    - trio sounds good man, feel free to keep polishing it because it's working out

Great job dude! Good luck with auditions coming up

7. reese84

reese84

Not much braizahn:) how you doin? thanks again for showing me around peabody, i wanna go there so badly, that place is awesome.
    Yea i definitely have some tempo issues to work out in the scherzo, and yea i see what you mean about how i may be working too hard, pj spent most of the lesson talking about how i should use more of the weight in my arm instead of pressing so much.
    Oh and did you see that nicky schwartz won a job in royal concertgebouw?? insane lol...

8. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass

Disclosures:
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Hi,

As a bass professor that listens to incoming freshman, I would say that you have much more plus than minus. The issues are what has been discussed already. I personally would like to hear the scherzo slightly faster. (overall)

On anoter note, (or many notes) the guitars in the background are ringing while you are playing. Especially when you hit open string notes and get the sympathetic vibrations. I would suggest removing them and recording again. The vibrations sound like some noise coming out of the bass that is unintended.

Good luck,
    BG

9. braizahn

braizahn

Yea man Nicky is amazing it was only a matter of time. I think the scherzo could be faster like Heifetz bass said, just remember if you do that your tempo on the trio should match it since its from the same movement and all.

10. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

I study with Scott Dixon, but I like it here a lot. He's a really good teacher. Everything requires a lot of work here, but it's all really worth it. Max is fantastic as well, and they're both the nicest teachers ever- my teacher even gives us two lessons a week quite often, and they both give lessons to students in the other studio if need be.
    It's a really good environment to learn in.

(Plus we get really cheap/sometimes free Cleveland Orchestra tickets)

11. crowsmengegus

crowsmengegus

Hey I'll add my impressions for what it's worth.

First, it sounds excellent overall. I'd second skyre12's comments about a couple little intonation spots and overall dynamics. Something else I'd try is to get a "cleaner" sound in the louder areas. I hear a lot of the the sound of adjacent strings and such, and for example in parts of the trio it sounds a little bouncy, like the bow is slightly out of control. You might try (as has worked for me) playing a little closer to the bridge with a less bouncy stroke. That tends to minimize adjacent string hits (if your setup is okay) and "tighten" up the sound.