Comments on this player?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by Bassist60613, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Bassist60613

Bassist60613

Let's say you were sitting behind the curtain on the panel of an audition and this player walked in and played this audition- What things would you say or be thinking to yourself? Like "Well, it just doesn't seem solid, or his vibrato bothers me..."

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds. Feel free to be candid. I'm just looking to keep improving, and hopefully one day move forward professionally.

2. Basscat125

Basscat125

Disclosures:
    none yet
    Very nice playing!!
    But i'm just a nocive(what do i know ;) )

3. crowsmengegus

crowsmengegus

First, I'll say what was excellent in my opinion:

-intonation spot on

-great sound production, good clear sound even in the fast passages

Now to be critical:

- weird tempo/rhythm issues here and there, like in moz 40 at 1:04 ish. Seemed like you sped up as you got louder in the Beet scherzo

- not enough phrasing. Shapes of the lines tended to be flat, not much dynamical contrast. This was most evident in the Mozart, improved in the Tchiak. I think if you want to show somebody the shape of a line, you need to be very deliberate and purposeful or they might not notice!

- a few strange things with ends of phrases, like at 1:42, kicking the second to last note, or sort of choking off the beginning of the mozart at :23. Sometimes it seemed like you had finished the line in your head before you actually finished playing

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Your playing is excellent. I'm not really qualified to criticize because I am not a professional and have more issues than you do for sure, but those are my thoughts for what they're worth.

4. Bassist60613

Bassist60613

Thanks a lot for the tips- I think anyone's honest opinion is useful, no matter what stage they are at. I appreciate it guys!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ekspain

ekspain

solid, but some rushing in mozart, also intonation issues. lack of phrasing, musicality.
    But left hand seems pretty solid. sound production not bad.

7. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

That Mozart excerpt is a bear, isn't it? I spent a lot of time trying to get the spiccato just right on the eighth note string crossing runs...my excuse: "It's harder on German bow." ;)

Very confident sound going there...to be critical I would agree with some lack of phrasing...sounds like most of the Mozart (unfortunately all I have time for at the moment, I have to go play MY symphony gig tonight!) is played at a fortissimo volume. As an example, the ascending gestures (1:15) could decrescendo as each note is played instead of hitting them all hard. It'll help them to lift a little more.