common bad habits of freshmen

Discussion in 'Ask the Berklee Bass Department' started by Burwabit, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

I'm curious... what are the most common bad habits of new students and what do you advise to correct them? Bass playing habits... I don't want to know about the other stuff.

I anticipate seeing a lot of my own bad habits in the list. :)
  2. Dave Marvuglio

Dave Marvuglio

I find the biggest habit I have to help incoming students with is time management.

I show them what works for me and what I've seen work for others. Each person is different and you have to experiment to find works for them.

Some tricks I do....
    I love to practice as soon as I wake up and will sometimes wake up early in the AM to do so. At 5am I'm less likely to have interruptions haha it also makes me feel like I've accomplished something early on in the day!

I also divide my time between maintenance and new practice. Maintenance I keep aspects of my playing up to par. New practice I work on something new.

I will use a timer to time my practice sessions. This is great for working on my weaknesses!! I find its tougher to work on things you're not good at. But breaking down a subject to 5, 10, or 15 minute micro sessions can make it manageable.

Hope this helps!

Dave
  3. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Great tips. Thanks Dave.
  4. Timmah

Timmah

What do you mean by 'freshmen', Burwabit?
    EDIT: Whoops, I just saw that this is in the Berklee forum. I get it now...
  5. Register to disable this ad