1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Comparable amp to BX1500?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Halvorsen, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Halvorsen

Halvorsen

I finally have the money together to upgrade my rig, and I've been thinking I might like to try a Greenboy Fearless 15/6, but I'm unsure what head to pair one with.

I was almost set on the Carvin BX1500, it seems like it would be perfect, but after hearing about the ribbon cable issue, I'm rethinking things.

Having to pull apart an amp and clean it regularly is a deal breaker. I'm way too busy to mess with things like that
    anymore. I need a no fuss rig.

Is there a comparable amp out there to the BX1500 that is reliable and would work well with the 15/6 cabs?

2. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    I own the BX1500 and have had zero issues with the ribbon cable. IMHO, you won't find a better " more bang for the buck " bass amp than this.

3. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Gk 1001 rb 2 works well with my fEarfuls, I use the high freq side to run the horns. Rock solid amp for over six years, tons of hours, been worked hard, lived in the trunk of the car in heat and cold, been dropped... Never a problem.

That said, if it died, I'd buy the Carvin BX 1500, and not worry. I also use the Carvin HD 1500 power amp. I did have an issue with that amp, but Carvins service folks were quick to replace it. I like the BX 1500 eq better, and in an A/B test with the fEarfuls, the Carvin more than held its own against the GK, with more eq and tone options.

Almost any amp will sound better through the fEarfuls. Some amps might not fully utilize the cabs.

My advice: build your fEarful, and then audition amps. Of the three fEarfuls I've built, two 15/6/1 and a 12/6 cube, the 12/6 with no horn and the inexpensive alpha 6 mid is my most used cab. Huge bang for the buck, under 50 lb, and it fits in the trunk of a Corolla.

4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You could get a peavey IPR 1600 and your choice of pre amp.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. makohund

makohund

FWIW, I've had a BX1500 for about a year and a half now, without any issues. I've considered popping it open to do preventive maint just in case, but... haven't bothered. I have a good backup handy if it ever tries to bite me.

7. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Seeing as big as the community is on TB, I would wager that there are people who have had problems with every amp & cab ever mentioned here. If I let that scare me off from what I wanted, I'd still be playing air guitar. :D

8. 5port

5port

Maybe Carvin could sell a hardwired version for an upcharge. They are missing out on additional profit. For the record I have cleaned mine once with Deoxit since the week they issued the amp. Love it.

9. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    i have a carvin b2000.......killer mono block head. 700 watts @ 8 ohms 1300@ 4 and 2050@ @ 2 ohms. have had it for a year with no issues.....except i had to clean the ribbon cable connections once but other then that i love that head. I run it with my fEARfuls 15/6/1 and 1515/66/1 and she is LOUD and Hell. It is very strait forward 6 band eq and i really like the fact it can take a 2 ohm load!!