1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Comparable Pickups to these old Hagstroms?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tslicebass, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Tslicebass

Tslicebass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    CB Basses. BassMusicianMagazine.com
    I am looking at picking up a 1960's Hagstrom Bass for sale online. It is a re finish and unfortunately the guy swapped the original pickups out in favor of a P/J setup (as well as swapping out the bridge, refinishing in a new color and ditching all the switches). I am thinking about buying it and trying to find some pickups that re create the originals (which are supposedly the biggest draw with these basses). It is a late 60's Hagstrom IIB with the oval pickups. I am assuming they are single coils. Would Single Chi Sonics be my best bet?
    Pic Attached for reference

Attached Files:

2. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I haven't a clue but do remember these basses.
    I didn't care for the next shape but they sounded really good and different than a J bass.
  3. Tslicebass

Tslicebass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    CB Basses. BassMusicianMagazine.com
    I'm gonna bump this once to see if anybody else has thoughts. I found a guy who may have some of the vintage ones in stock
  4. kerryg

kerryg Supporting Member

I seem to recall that Hammond Dark Stars are explicitly designed as remakes of the old Hagstrom bi-sonic pickups. You could search the forums here for further info, they were quite the fad a few years back.
  5. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

6. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

The only thing like the Hagstrom pickups are other Hagstrom pickups. Anything recent (like Chi-Sonics) are optimized for the modern player. If you can find a vintage set grab them - they do not come around very often at all. The tone on those is quite amazing considering they look like crappy little pickups.

The original Bi-Sonics are nothing like these other than being single coils too. If you want to do some more routing you can get new versions. Fred Hammon has long since gone out of business, but several other makers offer them. They look like this.

I will vouch for them - they really do sound great! I have a early 60's Coronado IV with the original Bi-Sonics and it sounds awesome.

Attached Files: