Compare replacement Jazz Bass Necks

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by yovinnie35, Feb 18, 2014.

1. yovinnie35

yovinnie35

New member, first post. Have a mid-70's Jazz bass with a badly warped/worn neck. Does anyone have experience with Fender factory replacement neck v. Wormoth v. Moses graphite? I've seen some older threads but would like some up to date feedback. I love my bass but the neck has just gotten to be too much so it's time to replace it.
    TIA.

2. bobdabilder

bobdabilder

I've purchased a USA Custom Guitars maple neck with rosewood fretboard and a mighty mite maple with rosewood fretboard within the last year. The USACG is higher quality (priced to match) but the quality was superb. The mightymite neck was less than half the cost of the usacg but has a few high frets etc. I do my own work so the mighty mite was worth the savings to me.
    Hope this helps.

3. Lownote38

Lownote38

I like the Warmoths as they have reinforcement rods in the neck.

4. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

Some Fender necks have graphite reinforcement, some don't.

In my experience the Warmoth J necks with steel reinforcement rods seem more "firm" than the Fender necks with or without graphite.

Warmoth now offers graphite reinforcement necks as well, but I have never played a bass with one.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Warmoth necks tend to be a little thicker, unless you order a thinner profile. They are available with either steel or carbon fiber rods. They are probably the best quality that I have used.

MIA Fender neck replacements will have carbon fiber rods, MIM will have no support rods at all. Personally I think they are basically unnecessary on a 4 string bass. I think that they are over priced for what they are.

All Parts necks are outstanding quality, and come with good fretwork. They are less expensive than Warmoth or USA Fender necks. They also seem to be a bit thick like the Warmoth necks.

MightyMite necks are solid, and after some fret work, they feel and play great. Even after a fret job these are the least expensive, and are probably the best value.

I have no experience with Moses Graphite, but I have heard only good things.

7. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I really like(d) the 2 Allparts necks I've had. As Hopkins said, they seem to be very good quality.

8. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

If you want rock solid and laugh at weather changes: Warmoth with steel rods.
    If you want it to be less heavy, get the Warmoth with graphite necks, I have one and it is great. However it does move a bit when the humidity changes.

If you want a neck that feels like an old Fender Jazz neck, USACG is the one you want, and if you talk to Tommy on the phone he is pretty cool and can get very close to what you are thinking.
    Example, I wanted a 60's profile Jazz neck with plain maple at the back, birdseye on the fretboard and graphite reinforcement, and USACG delivered! The neck was great!

9. Basshappi

Basshappi

I have Warmoth (steel rods) and Allparts. Both are very good and have served me well. As others have mentioned the Warmoth necks are very stable and slightly heavier than standard Fender necks. They also have a thicker profile. The Allparts neck feels just like a standard Fender neck. In fact it feels identical to the stock neck on my MIM Jazz.

10. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

the Warmoth neck I owned was an outstanding product similar to EBMM quality or Fender USA quality. Necks--like anything else--well, you get what you pay for. My favorites probably Fender Japan. real quick, here's what, how many i've had, & approx street value:
    Warmoth goncalo alves--excellent. around $400 I think
    Fender CIJ--excellent (owned 3 or 4). $300-400
    Fender MIM maple--great (3), very good (1). $200
    Allparts maple/rw--good. around 150
    EY guitars maple FL--great (2). $99
    Squier China around $100-150 very good (2)
    Squier Indo--fair (1), poor (1) approx less than $100

11. narud

narud Supporting Member

for the price of a replacement neck you could just have a repair man fix your current neck. truing the board and refretting should do the trick. any of the replacements will sound different.

12. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy

Somewhat zombie on this thread... Allparts '75 RI with bound and blocked for just over $300? that a good deal?

I want something that feels like a Fender - and wont fall apart - I'm also a SUCKER for bound and blocked, so I feel like it's a good compromise over Warmoth or finding a Fender 70's RI or Deluxe American neck. -plus I save a couple bucks.

13. yovinnie35

yovinnie35

Thanks all y'all for your input. Jeez, all you guys have so many basses - amazing. I have two, the first bass I ever owned which I bought before most of you were born and my current.

Narud, the change in sound is my biggest worry. I love the way it sounds. I put a Smith bridge on it years ago and it improved the sound by at least one order of magnitude. Wonderful sustain and a rich woody tone. I have a very good luthier and he has suggested fixing but it just seems worn out. The neck moves so much these days, I could adjust the truss rod almost weekly.

I'm leaning toward a Warmoth. I like what everyone says about them being rock solid. I've forgotten what it is like to play on an even action.

I should probably start another thread but quick question. I'll put new machines on the new neck. Schallers or HipShot?

14. narud

narud Supporting Member

the warmoths are great necks but they have a sound. no one will notice once in a mix, but youll notice. if you get the frets pulled, level the board, and then refret, you should be good to go for many years. heres my own 76 jazz and the journey i took bringing it back to life.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f18/diy-refret-1976-fender-jazz-1024614/

15. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    If you really want to keep it as much as possible to your original.
    Then go allparts.

However if you warmoth you will have a solid neck...and a little more percussiveness to it. Slightly more then your original. Again what Naurd said...You will be the only one to hear it.

Stay away from Moses...Those necks bow and twist easy. Do a search here...I mentioned my experiences more then once with them.