1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Compared NV610 and SVT 810 today.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by creis2, Dec 31, 2012.

1. creis2

creis2

Used an Ashdown ABM 500 head, although they sounded similar, the NV610 sounded so much better.

I know this is a popular trend on this forum, but I'm an Amateur player compared to many of you, so I wanted to give an Amateur's perspective.

I've played both many times before, but I had an all day practice today with both in the room, so my speakon cable was going back and forth.

Where does the magic of NV610 come from? I'm imagining the custom designed drivers?
  2. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

It's the drivers. I've found nothing out there that are voiced the same way. They alot of mids and some extra low end and work in a sealed cab.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What year SVT 810?
  4. creis2

creis2

It was AV purchased new last year.

I'm very surprised by this, how the little thing moved so much air.

I'm selling my NV, but I'm curious to know how these drivers would sound in 6 of the SV 810's chambers, with 2 remaining unused.

It would look much better ( I think the berg is ugly), and the speakers are higher up. Or am I thinking stupid?
  5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

yes, yes you are.

(and why are you selling the better-sounding and smaller cab?)
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Leaving a chamber unused is never a good idea.
  7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i guess you could line it with insulation and keep beer in it :)
  8. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Because it is not pretty ;)
  9. creis2

creis2

Not that I would attempt it, maybe I will attempt such things when I retire.

The bottom chamber would make a great refrigerator.
  10. creis2

creis2

I recently acquired an NV215.
  11. Tim1

Tim1

I am with you on that, creis2. I too sold my NV610 because I acquired an NV215 which for me is a better cab with a much fuller range. The NV215 is my regular go to cab, and possibly the best I have ever played.
    Having owned two fridges and an NV610 I will weigh into this and say that yes, at the time I thought my NV610 was equal to the fridge (though not quite as loud) - but all the time I owned the NV610 deep down I was missing my fridge. It had a physical and tonal presence that was totally addictive and dominant. I will own another one day.