1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Comparing MIA and MIM P basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cmarko, Feb 7, 2013.

1. cmarko

cmarko

When comparing MIA and MIM P basses In a music store Does anyone take into account they are shipped with Different Strings when they are eulogising over the MIA having that "edge" in tone and depth etc. Also the Carbon fibre truss rod in the neck ...........don't recall that being in a 62 P bass.
    Now you can bet your bottom dollar that if there was carbon fibre in a MIM that would be just one more reason why the MIA is closer to "moms apple pie"

Just Sayin'

2. JoeDaddio

JoeDaddio

You're right: eulogizing is obnoxious.

joe

3. cmarko

cmarko

I'm Right about the strings too
    Fender® USA Super Bass 8250M, NPS, (.045, .065, .085, .110TW Gauges)
    on the MIA
    And Fender® USA Super Bass 7250ML, NPS, (.045-.100 Gauges)
    on the MIM
    A cheaper string.

4. lowJPG

lowJPG

I replaced the strings on my MIA within a week of getting it.

Strings shouldn't be burden on a buying decision anyway.... thats like buying a car based on the factory tire brand.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cmarko

cmarko

There are people on this forum who live or die over what strings they have , yet when you are comparing and listening to a new bass in a music store and making potentially expensive decisions it doesn't matter ?

7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I have never bought a Bass with the thoughts of what strings are on it since they will be changed right away if I buy it. Tone,feel,fit,finish and price is what concerns me.

8. cmarko

cmarko

I like the car analogy, but you wouldn't road test a Jeep with 4 mini spare wheels on it would you ?

9. lowJPG

lowJPG

Touché, but if Jeep even produced such a disaster, I doubt I would even consider buying one.

10. cmarko

cmarko

I know what your saying , but if you go in the shop and you're trying to compare those things on a NEW MIA and MIM P bass the MIA has heavier gauge strings and the sound will be different.

11. awilkie84

awilkie84

The truss rod is not carbon fiber. The neck has carbon fibre reinforcement rods.
    As for strings on a new bass...as long as the strings are new & not lifeless, I think it's a negligible difference in tone on basses that you're not personally connected with yet.

12. treekiller

treekiller

I have and play both, set up identically with the same strings(chromes). While the Am. Std. is the better instrument, they are both pretty close in the playability dept. My MIM has been modded with a 62' R.I. p-up, CTS pots, etc. so it sounds better than a stock MIM and has been my main gigging bass. A good MIM is a more than satisfactory instrument if you are on a budget.... :cool:

13. cmarko

cmarko

I confess I have a MIM and I also confess I didnt buy it new , it had a pretty decent but deadish set if roundwounds on it.
    As a stop gap I bought a set of the fender stock strings
    Fender® USA Super Bass 7250ML, NPS, (.045-.100 Gauges)
    And found them feeble and clattery.
    I put some fender stainless steel flats on instead and its a different animal.[​IMG]

what im saying is if I had to compare it in a shop to a similar bass but they were strung with different strings it would be harder to compare

14. mystic38

mystic38

So, is there a point to this?... or is this another "A MIM is as good as a MIA" thread?..

Went to GC in RI yesterday, and other than fit, finish, sound, playability, skb case..(and now apparently strings) yes the MIM P was the same as the MIA..

moving on, I tried a MIA jazz, and it was the worst playing instrument in the entire building, action at the 12th fret was close to 3/8th and it was a pig to play.. so MIM, MIK, MII even MITFT would have been a preferred buy..

so what do i conclude?..

nothing, absolutely nothing,

If funds are limited, there is nothing wrong with a MIM (or MII) guitar. but i wont buy a MIM fender. period. (mind you i wouldnt have taken that jazz for free...lol)

15. awilkie84

awilkie84

People who say these things drive me nuts. You say there's nothing wrong with the bass & then you get snobbish & say it's not worth your money.

Personally, I don't see the value in an MIA Fender (I've owned 2). I've also owned 2 MIMs, 3 Squiers and an MIJ. The MIAs were a tad lighter, but the finish was no better, the fit of the neck pocket & hardware was no better and the sound was subjective at best. I test basses extensively before buying them and can say that bang for your buck, the MIAs are not worth the money. I'd rather have a well-modded MIM that has everything I'm looking for & still save close to $400.

16. cmarko

cmarko

The serious point was would the stock strings on a Mia which are different to those on a mim , disadvantage the mim when trying out in a music store?

17. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

It's just great that we have the choices that we do. I say get the MIM if it makes you happy. I really like the MIA Special necks. They have a great feel to them. I have owned a dozen MIM P-basses and each one was a great bass. They were so easy to get a groove going. It's like they start grooving all by themselves and you just move it along. MY Ric is my main bass but I have to work at it to get a good groove going. My MIJ Jaguar is hands down my favorite bass in 35 years. It's so creamy/growly without even trying. :cool:
    If all I had was a MIM P-bass, it would work just fine for everything I need. :) Oh, And amazingly My MIJ Squier Bullet with '70's USA Pup in it will smoke any P-Bass I've ever played.

18. mystic38

mystic38

To this question, i simply dont know, but would really not think so...? the strings seem to be the same technology hence I would expect very much the same tone.. though some extra body may come from the MIA ..but possibly at the perceived loss of playability (higher guage, stronger tension).. add to that you would be not likely to be using your amp, your settings and your typical volumes to make good objective listening tests.

19. mystic38

mystic38

I wont consider buying a MIM and it "drives you nuts"...:eyebrow:

Said they are nice basses, just not for me, so the day after we get married you can start preaching to me about bang/buck and what my money is worth and until then you buy what you want and so will I...ok?

p.s. you clearly aint my type ;)

20. Jeff In Vegas

Jeff In Vegas

Although it is not scientific, my recent test of various Fender P basses at GC resulted in an expected conclusion. The MIA basses sounded better, had several db gain over the MIMs and Squires, and were WAY too darn expensive----smile.....

21. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Strings are certainly not a factor to compare MIM to MIA.

Otherwise, practically speaking (with my 2011 P Basses - MIM & MIA), the main differences are:
    Pickup (MIA = Moderately Hot & Middy, MIM = Very Hot & Trebly)
    Truss (MIA = Graphite at neck heel, MIM = Steel at nut)
    String thru option (MIA = Body or Bridge, MIM = Bridge only)
    Shielding (MIA is better shielded than MIM)
    Hardware