1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Comparing SVTs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Floyd Eye, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Okay, so I have been running an RBI and an old 1000 watt Carvin ( Carvin pre is blown) for a few years. 6 months or so ago I got a deal on a used Ampeg 810cl. The one no one likes because of the speakers ( I happen to love it). I am not at all unhappy with the rig, but for years now I have been gassing for an SVT 4 Pro ( preferably the old 1600 watt SLM model). Seems they can be had used for around $600 and I have been racking up gig money and I am getting pretty close to being able to swing it.

I am pretty much after the typical all tube Ampeg tone ( no I can't afford the VR or the CL). Think Mike Inez, Mike Starr, typical alternative, hard rock, etc. I also play a lot of heavier stuff ( Tool, Chevelle, Saliva). So my question is, is this the SVT I want? I need a lot of power ( My band is loud) and I need to be able to slip in and out of that sweet, tube driven OD. I see where I can get a 7 brand new for around the same price, but I really think I want an all tube Ampeg.

So, what do you all think? 7 Pro or 4 Pro or something else?
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

All tube Ampeg SVT's stopped at the 3 non pro. 3 PRO and up are not all tube. Just so you know?
  3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Huh. Seems the 2 Pro was the last actually. I'll be damned. Now I'm seriously conflicted.
  4. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Well if you want that sweet tube driven OD you already know that neither the 4 Pro or SVT7PRO is all tube the 4 has three preamp tubes but even that isn't going to get the tube overdrive sound a VR or CL has and have you considered a vintage V4B ?
  5. B-string

Sorry to make it tougher? PM JimmyM about his preference in the models. He is dyed in the wool tube snob that will know what model would best do what you are looking for.
  6. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy Supporting Member

+1
  7. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

If you need stupid volume and want it to really sound like an SVT you have to buy the real deal.
    I have an
    SVT-CL
    SVP-CL pre/power amp - same pre used in a CL and backed with a 1500 watt amp; it's OK
    I've tried with a number of amps to get close including a 3 Pro which was not close; you might try a Mesa Walkabout or an Aguilar TH500, or maybe an Orange Terror bass head. They get close but not exactly and I've literally spent 50 hours over the years and have realized it's not going to happen.
    If that's the tone you want, don't waste your money.
    Save up; they're only a grand.

BTW, really think about carrying that much weight to small gigs; I won't do it anymore.
    If you don't need big volume a V4B would be perfect. Might be worth looking at an ALL tube Traynor as well.

Edit - You might try a VT pedal with whatever amp you have now; the question is, how close does it have to be
  8. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

I have the 4-pro and it definately doesnt compare to an "all tube" SVT(2 or classic). I prefer the solid state ampeg preamps over their hybrids but I really prefer their all tube amps over anything.

Oh yea, my buddy (a drummer) has an old traynor bass master 50 watt 15" and its oh so awesome tube tone, brilliant tone actually.
  9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Well, besides the price factor I worry that the 300 watt CL won't have enough power.
  10. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

300 watts with an SVT cab is amazing loud
    An SVT through a 1x15 or 2x10; no way
    It takes a lot of speakers to make serious volume with 300 watts IMO/IME
  11. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner Supporting Member

You've obviously never played thru a well set up SVT rig to think that or your hearing is shot.
  12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

In fact I have never played through an SVT at all.

I play heavy music, in a loud band, through an Ampeg 810 with an RBI and realistically the amp I am using is probably putting out about 800 watts. Now my amp is never dimed and I do have a decent PA and a permanent soundguy so I expect the CL or the SVT 2 Pro would be plenty loud. I just hate to drop that kind of coin and then not have way more power than I will ever need at my disposal.

It would be real nice if I could play on one with my band so I could be sure.
  13. alembicguy

300 watt tube SVT will squash 800 watts solid state. Ive used an SVT and 8x10 cab and stood my ground with many a loud drummer and full stack anything guitar player.
  14. f64

f64

+1 Used CL's can be had for $1000. With your cab there is no question you'd have a killer rig. Sell something else to get there. Just my .02
  15. alembicguy

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    +1
  16. B-string

Nope, power is power it doesn't matter HOW it is controlled from the wall :eyebrow:. 300 watts is still 300 watts. SS is cleaner so you don't THINK it is as loud. Distortion and compression only "seem" louder. :eek:
  17. alembicguy

Sorry but ive played many solid state rigs and none touched the SVT in volume and clarity in a loud setting. SVT can be ran loud and clear not just tube overdrive sound.
  18. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Does the CL play well with pedals?
  19. alembicguy

Yes.
  20. B-string

Well I differ in my opinion with over 40 years of performing and live sound. Little longer than that in electronics and amp repair. May sound like it to you on stage but it still won't carry as far.