1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Comparing The Tone Of Different Picks

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by KhzDonut, Feb 6, 2013.

1. KhzDonut

KhzDonut

Disclosures:
    Solder Jockey at VFE Pedals
    Long story short, I ran into Chris from Gravity Picks and tried one of his mega-thick Acrylic picks and was surprised at how different they sounded from some of my other picks.

Figured I'd do a bunch of short samples to see just how different all of my picks sound (I've gotten quite a collection over the years) Thought I'd share the results with anybody who might be interested.

http://youtu.be/hzxhAGqkDqs

2. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

3. Slax

Slax

I know many won't agree with me, but I was really surprised at how much it sounded the same when the picks were switched.

4. KhzDonut

KhzDonut

Disclosures:
    Solder Jockey at VFE Pedals
    Thanks for the link!

I agree, about 80% of the picks were indistinguishable to me. I noticed a difference with a handful of the picks, mostly the thicker ones with beveled edges like the Gravity Picks, Dunlop 2.0mm Delrin, Planet Waves 1.5 Duralin, and the Jazz III Carbon Fiber (which is 1.5 I believe) They all sounded either brighter and less "scratchy" and "zingy" or, in the case of the Jazz III Carbon Fiber, had a particular midrange "grunt" that I thought sounded kind of nice.

I think my favorite is the Gravity Pick for the brightness though. Has a certain bell-like high end that I find really cool.

5. Register to disable this ad