Comparison of Wren & Cuff TFR and 3leaf You're Doom

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MicG, Feb 16, 2014.

1. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Forgive me as I'm still playing around with and thinking about what I'm looking for in fuzz. I'm wondering if anyone owns or has owned both of these at the same time yet?

From what I gather, the TFR is a high gain (muff-style) fuzz while the You're Doom has more of a low gain fuzz thing goin' on. I'm looking for more detailed description between these two; specifically the differences.

I currently own a Duality and the TFR.

Thanks
  2. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Hi mate,

Those two are actually the only fuzz pedals I own right now.

The TFR is a low-medium gain (for a muff) muff-style fuzz. It has plenty of low end, low mids and it has a "rougher" texture than US muff circuits.

The You're Doom has lower gain on tap than the TFR but blends with a clean signal far better. The TFR is more about the wall of sound fuzz whereas the Doom is better at providing the same sort of signal as clean except with a thick fuzz alongside it in a very natural way.

The You're Doom has more mids than the TFR with the tone switch in the up position. When you flick it down it scoops the mids and boosts the bass a touch. If you increase the treble on the tone knob and up the gain it can kind of do a muff-impression like this.

I find the You're Doom to sit in the mix easier than a muff thanks to its mids and it has a more punchy sound. You can play far more complex riffs and runs with it and you don't have to push the output gain in order to cut through. With the tone switch up it has a very synthy voice to it and you get lots of upper harmonic overtones when playing up the neck (neck pickup on, tone on bass rolled back and there's some octave-up stuff going on like an octavia.)

I find it a far more practical and versatile fuzz than the TFR for my tastes and the projects I'm currently working on.
  3. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Also, the Doom plays far better with filters than the TFR.
  4. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

You own the TFR and find it to be a high gain fuzz? Every other fuzz I've tried has at least three times as much gain as that pedal. I love the low gain, don't get me wrong, just find that description interesting.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JonDark

JonDark

;)
  7. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Thinking about it the 3Leaf may have more gain because it definitely excels as a low gain fuzz and I've not really cranked the gain on mine for that reason.