1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Complete a bass with this top...

Discussion in 'Roscoe Basses' started by SteveC, Nov 15, 2012.

1. SteveC

SteveC

OK, I'm itching to get a Roscoe again. Playing in church would be easier with a B string instead of a D-tuner. At home the D-tuner seems to be fine, but in reality, it's not. I think I want to have a 5 string (B-G) again.

As usual, there are so many nice Roscoe's to choose from - new and used - that it's hard to decide. I'm pretty sure I want to stay with the Century body style. I like the look and the longer horn seems to (might be my imagination) feel better to me.

Greg has a nice Century Standard Plus 5 right now - Bubinga/BEM. I like it, and my wife likes it. On the other hand...

...I fell for this top and kind of placed it "on hold" this summer. I think it's sitting in Greg's pile of potential tops. As of a week or two ago Gard said it was still there.

[​IMG]

I'm wondering what you guys would choose for options.

I'm a Bart/Bart guy so that's easy. Soaps vs. jazz...not as convinced. I have my jazz bass for that "passive jazz" tone so I'm thinking maybe soaps for something different. I also like black hardware and think it would look good on this top.

Body wood...I've had ash and liked it, but I'm thinking maybe mahogany or spanish cedar for something a little warmer?

Fingerboard...not sure.

Most of my gigs these days are at church - where this bass would see most of it's action - so something good for "contemporary christian" is a necessity.

I'll probably use it for my occasional fill in/sub work in local jazz groups - traditional and contemporary - and some pop/rock cover band stuff so something else to keep in mind.

I'm curious to see what you all think.

2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Considering the genres you plan to use it in and the fact that you already have a jazz bass, I say soapbars (Bart CBs).

For woods, mahogany body and BEM board would be pretty killer with that top.

3. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Century Standard 5 JM Plus
    Koa top
    Mahogany body
    Bart JM pickups
    Bart 3-band preamp
    3-piece Maple neck
    Bird's Eye Maple fingerboard
    Graphite nut
    Black hardware

...bada-bing.

4. SteveC

SteveC

Oh, yeah, forgot about the JM option. My favorite when I played Laklands...so let's add it all up...

Century Standard 5 JM Plus ($2,499)
    Koa top
    Mahogany body
    Bart JM pickups ($200)
    Bart 3-band preamp
    3-piece Maple neck
    Bird's Eye Maple fingerboard ($75)
    Graphite nut
    Black hardware ($75)

$2,849

Nice of Gard to pick all the up charge options ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SteveC

SteveC

After having one built for me, I don't know if I can go back to "of the rack" buying again. :eek:

7. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Of course Gard comes in and nails it. I kind of skipped over the JM pickups but my knowledge of what sounds good for "contemporary christian" is decidedly poor, so if that works then by all means they will make for a killer sounding bass.

8. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    Hey now, you didn't say anything about money, just "what would be good?"!

:)

So, THAT would be good!!!

:hyper:

;)

9. SteveC

SteveC

I know...

My wife wants to give the kids a kitten for Christmas. I have been anti-pet for years. I still am as you know who ends up taking care of said pet. I told her if a kitten is going to show up at Christmas, the UPS truck will also be showing up...well, not by Christmas but eventually.

She's also getting a fairly expensive (my daughters birthstone is diamond, Evan is ruby) custom made "mothers ring" for Christmas so...

10. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    Sounds like a bass order to me.

:ninja:

As for the kitten, may I recommend:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...an American Wire Hair. Awesome, dog-like attitude, lots of personality, and easy to deal with.

:)

11. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

That top is killer! And, the JM option is really the way to go. I love mine and am so glad that I had that impulse buy.

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    JM. Definitely JM.

I know what I am talking about.

And I recommend either a Maine Coon kitten, or a Tonkinese. We have two of each, and they are awesome family cats.

13. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    I dig Maine Coons, but they can be a LOT of cat to handle...not as familiar with the Tonkinese - pretty cats though.

I still like my boogerhead. I'll have to upload video of her with "her" sock....she walks around with this sock in her mouth that is as big as she is, and she "talks" to it...

And yeah, JM, next on my list, definitely.

14. SteveC

SteveC

Thanks for the bass and cat advice. The itch is strong...

15. SteveC

SteveC

There's a coil tap for the bridge pup, right?

16. SteveC

SteveC

Never mind. Got my answer already.

17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    I know you already have the answer, but yes there is, and it is actually useful, unlike the coil taps on a couple other basses I have owned in the past that seemed to do nothing to the sound.

In all seriousness, though, I *really* dig the JM I got in June. No regrets whatsoever. But it is a quite different than the J's or the soapbars, so keep that in mind. With the MM pickup set to single coil, it can cop a fairly convincing J tone (close enough for me, anyway), but it doesn't totally nail the sound of a Roscoe with two J pickups, to my ears, anyway.

18. SteveC

SteveC

That's ok. I don't know that I want a completely J sound anyway. I have my passive jazz for that. I'd like something useful, variable and different but good for all occasions. You know, the one bass for any gig bass. :)

19. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

That sounds like a JM to me. It's such a different sound than I am used to but, I love it. My first gig with it is a country gig in December. Hopefully I'll get some sound clips from it to post here.

20. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    For cat, I highly recommend your local shelter. I currently have two cats, both pound rescues. One is around 14 or 15 years old (I've had him since '00) and he's still spry. The other is a tabby female I've had since '07. Got her from a local shelter when she was about 1-2 years old. She is the best cat I've ever had.

As for the bass, you going 34" or 35" scale?

:bag:

21. SteveC

SteveC

35"
    With the Century body and longer upper horn it feels like a 34" to me.