Complete Makeover Underway, now the wait

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ASATMAN, Mar 2, 2014.

1. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

After the success of a recent makeover [ http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/meet-keef-relic-haters-might-wanna-look-away-1017219/ ] I decided this bass could really use a similar treatment. Both, when originally built back in the 90's, played and sounded amazing. However, the finish on both ultimately took away from the enjoyment and satisfaction of a DIY project.

I hope others are inspired to possibly take on that unfinished or under achieving project they might have laying around the house.

Back in 1992 I tasked a friend to make a lightweight semi hollow slab body w/ a Warmoth neck. The concept was a deluxe version of the early slab Fenders but with pearloid binding, a semi hollow chambered body, and matching painted headstock.

[​IMG]

From a few feet away it looks like a perfectly nice bass guitar. It was my first attempt at a build and the constant experimenting made for scars all over this bass. These pics are hiding some of the most egregious.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, what to do?

After deciding to follow the same design theme used on the the "Keef" makeover I needed to decide on the particulars. Matt at MJT was going to be tasked with the painting. Unlike the heavy relic on "Keef", this one will be in closet classic condition in Inca Silver Metallic.

First thing to do is dismantle and strip this baby down.

[​IMG]

There's always much more elbow grease required than anticipated but with some diligence I eventually found wood underneath.

[​IMG]

Now it's time to fill holes and add a deep V contour to the neck.

[​IMG]

Evidence of 3 sets of machine heads over the decades.

[​IMG]

Multiple pickguard, pickup cover, and thumb rest holes as well as a nasty confrontation with a Dremel [guess I was tired of removing the neck every time it needed adjustment]

[​IMG]

To compete the mods I visited my local woodshop to have Milt enlarge the string ferrule holes and route for the TV Jones Thunderblade.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Time to add all the fiddly bits and give this monster a test drive.

[​IMG]

It's alive! It's alive!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plays and sounds like a dream.:hyper: Haven't weighed it but probably comes close to 7 1/2 to 8 lbs. Might want to experiment with different cap values to get a real dub thud [not that I use it much but nice to have it when you need it]

Now.........the hardest part..........the waiting.:crying:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's been shipped to MJT and in their capable hands now. The next two months are are going to go by very slowly.:mad: In the meantime I'll have to rely on Keef to get by

Keef and soon to be Frank.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Updates to follow when available. Thanks for listening.:bassist:

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I would be tempted to shoot a clear over it and call it a day. I kinda like the unfinished look with the binding.

3. ASATMAN

My wife said the same. Too many blemishes and not enough contrast between the wood and binding.

4. Hopkins

The blemishes are kind of cool looking, and it will get a bit darker after it is finished so the binding will pop a bit more.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ASATMAN

All true and worth thinking about as an option if a rustic vibe was the goal.

However, Matt at MJT has already started the process and the goal was always an as new finish. I took lots of time deciding and feel the Inca Silver Metallic will look great.

7. Hopkins

No doubt man, I was really just thinking out loud mainly. Its going to look great in silver.

8. ASATMAN

Woo hoo! Matt at MJT informed me the body and neck are done!
    Won't have it ready for Friday nights gig but will enjoy assembling it this weekend.
    Gonna be a great weekend. ;-)

9. StreetScenes

StreetScenes Gold Supporting Member

Looking forward to seeing it. The other one is even more impressive in person! Keep us posted.

BTW very cool bridge and backstory.

10. ASATMAN

Thanks, my friend!

Here ya' go:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/makeover-complete-frankensteins-facelift-1068817/

Btw, the tinting experiments didn't really work out on the pearloid thumb rest. Had trouble applying an even coat with the lacquer and stain. Got the color right, just wish I had a way to spray it rather than using a brush.

11. bassingeorge

bassingeorge

Inca Silver is my favorite old fender color. Subbed all the way!

12. StreetScenes

StreetScenes Gold Supporting Member

The offer still stands if you want to bringing over I'll spray it. I'm clearing things this weekend anyway.