Complete noob question about tone knob

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thesteelspine, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Thesteelspine

Thesteelspine

:help::help::help::help::help::help:

So I have an old Fender Sqiure P-Bass, awesome bass, I love it. THis was my first bass some lady at my old church just GAVE me.

Anyway, ever since I got it, the tone knob has given me issues. The issue is that when it's turned up at any level, it makes a really annoying buzzing sound. If you could please help me and direct me to a forum or website that shows me how to fix this that would be awesome!

Thank you, and God bless
    -SMH

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Do you have a multimeter and a soldering iron?

3. line6man

line6man

You'll have to figure out what is wrong before you can fix it.

What sort of buzz is this? Usually when people complain that their bass is making noises when the tone control is up, the tone control is actually functioning the way it should, and grounding or shielding issues are to blame. Remember that a tone control does its job by grounding high frequencies. If there is high frequency electrical field noise, it will go away when the tone control is rolled down, because the tone control sends it to ground. Lower frequency magnetic field noise is not effected by tone controls, however.