Complete Pedal Revamp - Separate Pedals or Eventide Setup???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BooshBass, Sep 6, 2013.

1. BooshBass

BooshBass

To the effects junkies,

I am in the infancy stages of revamping my entire effects setup. My favorite way to play bass is to sit in my room by myself and bust out wild loops in my own little world; the more effects the better. I have been using a GT-6B with a few other pedals for about 10+ years and am ready to move on to bigger and better things.

Should I go for many individual individual pedals (my GAS list explains as such)? Or, now I've been dabbling with the idea of becoming some kind of Eventide spokesperson of sorts and going the route of breaking the bank with every Eventide pedal. I will be getting the Timefactor regardless as it is the only delay pedal I know of that has the capabilities I need (see my one other thread). However, I've slowly become quite intrigued by the other pedals.

My reservation about the Eventide setup is that throughout a jam I often wind up with an exorbitant amount of pedals switched on at the same time, creating albeit ridiculous sounds (which are sort of my thing), but I still need the ability to switch one, two, three... of them off at any given time. Maximum flexibility on combinations is very important to me, but maximum versatility on effects is also very important.

With the Eventide pedals, I'm not sure if I will be able to achieve the flexibility, but with individual pedals I am not sure I will be able to achieve the versatility.

Your thoughts?
  2. BooshBass

BooshBass

3. jasonmitsch

jasonmitsch

Use a midi controller, then you can control all of the pedals without even touching the pedals.

I'm also in the market for a very versatile delay, and from what I've gathered a strymon timeline is a bit more flexible and feature packed than the timefactor. Just something to consider.
  4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Buy one of everything, find out what works for you, sell what doesn't.
    Only half joking, because I don't see how anyone but yourself can answer your big question.

I like the MIDI suggestion though, get a bunch of Strymon/Eventide/similar multieffects and a programmable MIDI controller and you should be able to get both versatily and flexibility. And endless nights tweaking effects and controller patches. And no money left. :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jasonmitsch

jasonmitsch

This is pretty sound advice. I'd also add source audio to the list with strymon and eventide. Once the controlblox is released I think the SA gear will be on par with the other two companies in flexibility.
  7. BooshBass

BooshBass

Thank you all for your input.

Yea, I am pretty much in between the timeline and timefactor. I think its really going to be a matter of whichever i can get cheaper because they both appear to be such high quality I really don't think one can go wrong with either, especially without having used both for a while. While I love delay/effects/etc, I'm not sure I'm sophisticated enough to notice much of a difference.

No doubt, an SA Pro Envelope Filter will be bought either simultaneously with the delay, or shortly after. it looks insanely sweet. The midi input is a huge plus - the plan is to sell the GT-6B, Behringer Synth (for probably like $10), and FS-6 to lighten the blow on the pocketbook. Then, pick up an Alesis SR-18, daisy chain the delay (Timeline or Timefactor) and the SA Pro BEF with the Alesis through midi. Grab a 4 or 5 way tap tempo from loopmaster to attach to the Alesis and various individual RC-2s or 3s and pray that the Alesis and RCs are in sync (if not, might have to consider a RC-50 or 300, but I don't really want to). Then I will have a synced up drum and bass looping fantasy land with top notch delay and some awesome funk filters.

The thing about it is I am unaware of whether on the eventide multifx you can string each effect to affect each other. For example, on a modfactor, whether you can turn on the chorus and the tremolo at the same time, and then easily turn the chorus off at a moment's notice. I understand I could probably program a midi controller to have two patches, one tremolo, one chorus and tremolo, but combinations of effects are so endless I don't think even a midi controller will have enough patches for what I'm looking for. This is one reason I am leaning toward buying high quality individual pedals for things like chorus, tremolo, phaser, octave, etc.

Another thing is I think a digital delay will sit fine with the sound I'm looking for, but im not so sure about a completely digital effects board - some analog's thrown in there for things like a dirty old octave, overdrive and such seem to be in order.