1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Completely revamped epi EB3!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bbao, Nov 9, 2013.

1. bbao

bbao

Everybody was talking about how they revamped their EB3s so I thought I'd give it a go. Things came out a lot better than I thought.

[​IMG]

1. Upgraded truss rod cover, Aurora aqua blue strings and Gotoh tuners.
    [​IMG]

2. Gold Hipshot supertone EB3 bridge and Seymour Duncan Rickenbacker replacement neck pup in bridge position.
    [​IMG]

3. Dimarzio Will Power Neck pup.
    [​IMG]

4. Dragon inlay lacquered on pickguard and Gold knobs.
    [​IMG]

5. Sanded down the gloss finish with 400 grit sand paper to produce a smooth matte/satin finish.

In my opinion, money and time well spent.

2. vdub75

vdub75

3. wagdog

wagdog Supporting Member

It's a beauty! How do you like the Will Power?

4. twhitedc

twhitedc Supporting Member

Sound Clips?
    How's it sound compared to the stock set up?
    I'm about to order up a supertone for my eb-3... maybe pickups will be next.....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bbao

bbao

The will power pup is more responsive when using the tone knob as compared to the stock pup. With that being said, it's still REALLY boomy and deep due to its pup positioning but in the end, I do still feel that it sounds better than the stock. The stock pup sounded muted as compared to this. This pup could probably be used to solo.

The bridge pickup is great, it has a lot more bottom end than the stock one and doesn't sound very tinny in comparison to the stock. In my opinion, this pup could be used as to solo aswell.

They both blend nicely aswell.

Sound clips will be posted up after next thursday probably.

The supertone definitely helped with the intonation and string height!

7. twhitedc

I bet.... I'm in drop B and it's near impossible to get the intonation right with the stock bridge. I'm going to start stringing it with 5 string sets when I swap the bridge to maintain better string tension too.

8. punisher911

punisher911

It's purrrrrrty.. I like...

9. bbao

bbao

I hope it all works out!

By the way, for EB3 owners, does the nut holes (place where string sits) on your basses seem a little wide? Or maybe it's just me... I'm using a light set of aurora strings at the moment and the nut holes seem to have some space still, looks as if it was filed for a heavy set or something... I think that might be the reason behind my bass' slightly-higher-than-before action. It could also just be the neck relief too.

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

That is freaking gorgeous ...

I love the white SG basses ...

11. Garyth

Garyth Now What ..?

did the tuners help with the neck dive issue? Mine is stock and I'm looking to alleviate the issue. I have a wider strap but it's just not up to the job.

12. bbao

bbao

The tuners plus my wide strap really helped the problem. I'm not saying there's no more neck dive anymore but the neck dive is really minor as compared to back then.

13. awilkie84

awilkie84

It's not so much a wide strap, but one with a lining that grips your shirt. A wide nylon strap will continue to slide. A suede strap is more likely to stay put.

14. Garyth

Garyth Now What ..?

Thanks,

and I know about the strap. It doesn't change the drag/pull you feel on the shoulder. Even if it doesn't fall it's trying to. Balance is the way to alleviate it.

I really like the sound from the bass but I probably should just sell it and get one without the problem - or just play my short-scale

15. zillo

zillo

That is a sweet bass...nice work. I'll bet it roars.

16. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

wow... that looks great. and i am an epi/gibson hater, and a color-coated string hater, but wow, I'm impressed. i would play that. money and time definitely well spent. beautiful, sir.

17. PWRL

PWRL

I love it, especially the SD/Rick pickup. Sounds like good mods, and looks great.

18. Wiegraf

Wiegraf Supporting Member

Wow! Nice bass.

Always loved the SG shape.

19. twhitedc

Me too, being able to get one with a set neck & log scale for under $200 was too good to pass up!

20. mav

mav

Beautiful looking bass!
    Did you change the pots?