Compression and DI

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by marxbear, Mar 6, 2014.

1. marxbear

marxbear

Hey,

For my live rig, I have an MXR bass compression pedal between my bass and the amp.

I'm about to do some home recording with a DI direct to ProTools.

Should I include the compression prior to the DI like I do live, or add compression to the track using a plugin???
  2. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

3. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

If you go straight in with no compression, you have the ability to adjust compression to fit the song.

If you compress before the recording, you're locked into that level of compression.

For instance if you've trimmed off the attack of notes, you won't get it back in the DAW if you change your mind.
  4. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

+1 This is "Recording 101" advice. Record flat. EQ later as needed.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

7. Timi

Timi

Tracking dry is the safe option but safety in recording is boring. If you're doing really heavy and/or fast compression I'd be careful but It's very common to track with light compression, then do more in the mix if needed.

I think it's better to capture things as close to how they will sound as possible, but others like to capture everything as dry as possible and put off all decisions until the mix (and then spend so long mixing they lose perspective). There's no right or wrong but take some risks and you will learn more. Your safety net is that you're recording at home so you could always retrack it if you really had to.
  8. marxbear

marxbear

Thanks for all the advice. I was leaning towards dry signal and then compress with the DAW plugins.
  9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Pre recorded drums ? Then i would compress outboard assuming the mXr is quiet enough. Just 'jam' with the drum track in your phones and work with the compression until you have what you want. Write the settings down... Then start tracking...

No drums or live drums later, track dry...
  10. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Supporting Member

I know exactly what you need. Take off your tight pants and jump into something comfortable, get a beer if you're legal drinking age and then sit back and realize that you can do this. You can mix and use EVERYTHING together as long as it doesn't light up the house ;-)
  11. marxbear

marxbear

4mal, that's A great idea. I was planning on tracking after the drums were down so that method should work for me.