1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Compression and Preamps

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by thunder_dan, Jan 27, 2014.

1. thunder_dan

thunder_dan

Greetings all. I am new to rack mount options, so I need a little help. I recently disassembled my pedalboard because I'm playing in a metal group and need very few effects. I got rid of my Sansamp Bass Driver and opted for the RPM. After reading the scores of reviews here on TB, in hindsight I should have gotten the RBI, but I digress. I'm also running a Line 6 G90, wireless and a Korg Pitchblack Pro Tuner. So my question is this: If I have a limiter built into my amp, do I really need a compressor/noise gate for my rack? I understand at times the RPM or RBI for that matter may get a little hot, but will my amp limiter compensate for that? Any help will do, I don't want to waste time buying too many components.
  2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

what kind of amp?

are you using the sansamp as an "effect" in front or as the actual preamp, by going into your amp's effects return?
  3. spz8

spz8

Compression/Limiting has nothing to do with equipment overheating.
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    By "hot" did you mean high output? If so, you just turn down the master volume a bit.

Check the faq linked in my sig for articles about setting up a rack rig, and whether you need a compressor. :)
  5. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

No. Well, not useless you just want a compressor.
  6. thunder_dan

thunder_dan

I'm using an older solid state Ampeg SVT, running the wireless into the tuner, into the Sansamp into the Ampeg directly. I don't need many effects and prefer the cleaner tone with just a hint of distortion/fuzz/boost which I hope the RPM will provide. I was just concerned about my amp peaking. Occasionally while playing, my peak signal stays on constantly and was curious to know if a compressor would help with that. Never owned a compressor or needed one for that matter so I'm not even sure if I should buy one, although I did find a good deal on an older model with a noise gate built in.
  7. thunder_dan

thunder_dan

Thanks a lot for the links Bongo, I've seen your page before, it's great!

Now I just need to figure out if I should get the RBI instead of the RPM! I know that deadhorse has been beat to death here on TB!
  8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

The RPM (or RBI) will provide some OD but nothing that I consider to be distortion or fuzz. How it interacts with your SVT may be another story altogether, though. Have you considered a dedicated OD pedal instead? I'm no expert but, based on the positive feedback from others, I bought and use a Fairfields Circuitry Barbershop for the soft break-up I think you're describing. FWIW, I use an RPM or pre-PSA Sansamp rackmount as dedicated preamps and run directly into my power amp > enclosure du jour. The RPM does have some compression folded into the tube emulation design but I still have a separate comp pedal on my board.

Riis
  9. thunder_dan

thunder_dan

Thanks for the advice. I want to do away with a pedal board altogether hence the RPM. I did have the Bass Driver Pedal but it didn't seem to do as much as I thought it would do as far as OD goes. I bought the RPM as an upgrade, hopefully it will deliver a bit more edge to my tone. I'm very happy with the Ampeg and just need a bit more warmth and OD. I don't need any effects with the band I'm in now so I'm thinning the herd and going with a 3 space rack into the amp directly. After reading the links Bongo supplied, I don't think I'll be purchasing a compressor after all as I don't have any other effects to alter my signal level.
  10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

I follow ya. The RPM could very well provide all the subtle compression you'll ever need. Have some fun and bypass the SVT's tone section by running the RPM directly into the FX return, power amp in, whatever. I run my blend at ~75%. My friend, walterw, is a proponent of running it 100% for the full-on, balls-to-the-walls tone. If you haven't figured it out yet, the sweepable mid-range control is one of the best things going.

Riis
  11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

:D

to be fair, while i run my sansamp at 100%, i back the drive (which at 100% blend becomes my pre-gain) down to where it's still a decently clean sound, with maybe a little grit when i dig in.