1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Compression on 5 string

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ThunderBay006, Nov 25, 2013.

1. ThunderBay006

ThunderBay006

Been doing some reading on how to get that ideal, consistent quality between strings. I realize there are a lot of great options out there. It sounds like getting a multi-band compressor is in my best interest so I can isolate the low B string for its own ratio, attack/release times.

Does anyone have any specific knowledge to shed on best compressors for 5 strings? Considering both rack and pedal forms...
  2. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

ovnilab.com <-- always the best resource for bass comps. I don't believe you must have a multiband comp for bass, even 5 strings, but it may help you achieve your sonic goals. FEA labs makes an excellent dual band comp IIRC.

I use a Cali76 which is based on the Urei 1176, the most used studio bass comp since the early seventies. It is single band. I love it with my Fender P5s. No loss of highs or lows when set properly.
  3. ThunderBay006

ThunderBay006

The bible yes, but he doesn't address the specific topic. Thanks
  4. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

I believe the studio mode in the TC nova dynamics is the same as the 'per-string' spectra comp compression in their amp heads. You don't have any control over the bands, but it seems to do the job quite well with its automagical settings.
  5. eriky4003

eriky4003

OP:
    You can always PM Bongo (ovnilab author). He may be able to point you in the right direction.
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's actually pretty straightforward: with a dual-band comp, set the low band for peak limiting. Set that band's threshold and output so it keeps the peaks around the same perceived volume as the rest of the fretboard. Lastly fine-tune the crossover point so that only the offending range is squashed. Maybe around 100 Hz.

There are very few multi-band comps on the market; the FEA is the one I use and recommend. If that's too expensive, the second choice is the rackmount Rane DC24.

The rest I don't really recommend.
  7. jasonmitsch

jasonmitsch Supporting Member

An expensive and extreme alternative is to try a bass with fanned frets like a Dingwall. Though I don't own one I've read extensively about them and they seem to be the solution in a way to this. You'll have to adjust technique etc, but I'm saving for one currently and hopefully 2014 will be my year to own one.

I know this has nothing to do with compression, but you might get better results?
  8. el murdoque

el murdoque

That's definately a step into that direction.
    A fanned fret Bass and a solid amp that's able to reproduce the low B with some yalla.
    As someone who only recently got into the idea of compressing, i can attest that my Carvin LB75 played through a 15" 100W combo has more issues with the lower stings than my Dreizehnbass 34"-36" played through my Tonehammer 500 with 4x12" cabs. Both with uncompressed signals.