Compression Suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mhandley16, Jan 27, 2013.

1. mhandley16

mhandley16

Hey everyone.

I've been playing bass for a few years now but have never dabbled in effects. Do any of you more experienced players have suggestions for compression pedals? Any reviews or anything else would definitely help. Thanks in advance!
  2. mgalat

mgalat Supporting Member

ovnilab.com

more compressor reviews than you or your grandmother can handle.
  3. Swift713

Swift713

4. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Media:
    Not truly compression, and lots of folks around here bash it, but...
    I just recently purchased the Boss LMB-3, and if you take your time with it and leave the "enhance" knob aloe, it's pretty great.

But yeah, go to Bongo's site: http://www.ovnilab.com
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1000 our own Bongomania has compiled the best list on the internet about compressors.
  7. bludog

bludog Supporting Member

^The truth. I've always thought he should have his own TB fan club.
  8. ShowKing

ShowKing

I love my MXR M87 bass compressor.
    Depending on what you are going for, generally compression shouldn't be too noticeable.
    My compressor helps tame harsh peaks when I dig in and bring out light playing while retaining my tone.
    The LED indicator and attack, release controls is what I love about the MXR.
  9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 on that
  10. Immigrant

Immigrant

More props to Bongomania. Just about any question can be answered by going to his website.

I like the Markbass Compressore. It does what it's supposed to and the only drawbacks (to me) are the non-9 volt requirement (12) and its pretty big. I've had other stomp compressors and the Markbass has been the best so far. It replaced a rack mount dbx160a!
  11. 1954bassman

1954bassman

+3

Very useful info here:

http://www.ovnilab.com/

My personal favorites (and I have tried quite a few) are the Markbass Compressore and the Demeter Compulator.
  12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

13. mhandley16

mhandley16

Thanks for all the responses everyone. This really helps!
  14. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Another vote for Bongo and his Ovnilab site, as well as for the LMB-3. Simply a great tool and a bargain, even new. Don't tell anybody tho.
  15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

I liked the Aguilar TLC.
  16. bludog

bludog Supporting Member

FWIW, I have 4 (or 5 i guess) different compressors that I use at any given time. Sometimes it's just hard to decide and other times it just depends on what I want for that gig.

Origin Effects Cali76TX
    Analogman Bi-Comp (Ross clone + Orange Squeezer clone)
    3Leaf Audio PWNZOR
    FEA Dual Band Optical Compressor

All superb in their own right. I surprisingly love the Orange Squeezer side of the Bi-Comp. Never thought I would like it so much compared to the others in my arsenal. It has a very nice percussive attack and good amount of squeeze, which I really like. The more squash the better.

ovnilab, ovnilab, ovnilab... and then do your own testing. It's really the only way to find what works best for you.
  17. Leenibs

Leenibs

The only 2 compressors I've owned are the digitech bass squeeze and the mxr m87 and the mxr so far has resolved my compression needs!

First post! Btw!
  18. Kazoo_Legend

Kazoo_Legend Supporting Member

+1 MB Compressore. COMPLETE control. Once you understand the controls, it's an extremely powerful compressor in terms of versatility. Plus it being tubed, when compressed gives you the most tolerable and natural "squeeze" IMO.