1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Compression

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by L1nt84, Apr 11, 2014.

1. L1nt84

L1nt84 Supporting Member

I recently got a hollow body bass, and I notice its louder than my jazz bass when the amp is at the same volume. Also, the g string will feed back at times, which is odd. So I never have really messed with compression before, but this sounds like an instance where I would probably need it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on compression pedals that are light on the wallet? I see that sansamp tech 21 has one that is nicely priced.

2. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

That's not what compression is for. You'll want either a boost pedal to boost the gain of the jazz to equal the hollow body, or a more expensive multichannel pedal.

The hollow body will feed back a lot, that's just the nature of the beast.

3. David Jayne

David Jayne

You don't need anything except your volume knob, unless I'm missing something?

4. L1nt84

L1nt84 Supporting Member

Yea, I adjusted the volume knob on the hollow, which worked... I guess I was just more concerned with the feedback.

I was under the impression that compression evened out the volume of what you are playing. Maybe enlighten me a little?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

If you are truly looking for enlightenment re: compression, then: ovnilab.com

But it doesn't sound like a compressor will really help in this situation (unless you use it as a volume boost/cut to even out the two basses).

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    A compressor can even out the volume, but it will make feedback problems much worse. A better solution would be an EQ pedal; this will allow you to cut the frequency range where the hollowbody feeds back, and if it has an overall volume knob then it will also allow you to match the levels.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    They USED TO make a couple of really terrible compressor pedals, but both were discontinued years ago.

9. L1nt84

L1nt84 Supporting Member

Bongomania - thanks! Not sure why I didn't think EQ first. Now I know where to look!

10. Swift713

Swift713

I think a lot of uptight/acoustic players use a variable notch filter to reduce offending frequencies.