1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Compression?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bennield, Jan 20, 2013.

1. bennield

bennield

Here's a couple of examples of what I'm after:

Any ideas for settings or effects?
    Running an Ashdown MAG C210T-300 EVO III Combo with a MAG 414T Deep.

Just after a bass sound that's driven/fuzzy, but not too fuzzy, and still maintains clarity and punch.. maybe I need compression? Got a bass big muff at the moment and it just doesn't sound great..

Any help will be much appreciated! :)

2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I'm not sure compression is essential to what you're trying to do. Both tracks probably use some--almost every piece of recorded popular music these days does. The first one just sounds like EQ to me. The second one has some definite fuzz going on, but is retaining the bottom end--probably a clean blend.

3. bennield

bennield

Any ideas for what I can use to achieve a similar sound?

4. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Maybe a fuzz that has a clean blend. MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe? I don't know. Surely some other fuzz experts can chime in on that.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bennield

bennield

Just having a listen to that at the moment, I'm quite liking it! Any EQ advice? The stuff we play is a cross between those two songs really

7. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

I think a more "tubey" distortion with a clean blend and a P bass with the tone rolled off some will get you there. The Big Muff is cool, but it was always too over the top, for me. I've never owned a bass specific Muff, though. I had one of the original hand wired models, that sounded incredible on a guitar--if you knew how to make use of the guitar's volume control while using the pedal.

8. bennield

bennield

Are there any suggestions you can provide? I really am open to opinions! :)

9. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

I can't personally recommend anything with a tube like distortion. I use a MXR M80 for any distortion I need. It doesn't sound very tube like. I imagine I might be able to get it close with judicious knob tweaking, but I can't recommend it for your purpose. I'm sure someone else will have a more specific answer for you.

10. bennield

bennield

Thank you both for your help anyway!

11. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

You're welcome. :) You should do a search on tube distortion in the effects forum.

12. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

The first one sounds like it has an overdriven tube head going, but it's pretty clean. That Boss OD pedal that people around here (OD-3? not sure) could probably get close. Otherwise, there's a slew of pedals that'll get near it if you specifically as for a tube OD pedal at your guitar shop. More then that, I think the tone is from a P-bass that's plucked pretty hard. The combo of the OD and the P-bass is what you may be looking for.

The second clip starts off with a little bit of fuzz on it. At about 0:45, a guitar starts doubling it, which sort of sounds like OD or something. On the breakdowns, the bass sounds very clean. After about 3:15, it sounds more like a very clean bass with the lows on the EQ up and the highs cut off or maybe even a sine-wavy keyboard patch. Not sure.

There's a ton of OD pedals that can probably get close to that sound on the second clip, and even closer to the first sound. If you go higher end whith an OD pedal, one that has a tone control just for the OD with the OD tone set sort of high, and that doesn't alter the clean signal is probably the closest you'll get to that first sound. [/2 cents]

13. bennield

bennield

Thank you for that, I might check out the EBS stuff too?