Compressor and looper on Zoom B3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ezmar, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Ezmar

Ezmar

So I'm considering getting a Zoom B3, since I was very happy when I got my G2.1u, and I would like something for bass that has some more features.

My question is this: how are the built-in compression and looping functions? Zoom makes good effects that do what they need to most of the time, but I want to know how these two effects on the B3 compare to a standalone compressor pedal or a loop unit. I'm more concerned with the compressor, since that's the salt of effects for bass, and the compressor on my G2.1u felt very limited.

Anyone have experience they can share? I know that the effects in a multi unit can't compare to getting a really good standalone, but I want to know how they compare, if they're quite good or if they're cheap crap. I have a lot of faith in Zoom, their effects sounded very organic for a digital multi unit, but I want to know if those features on the B3 are strong it weak points of the unit.

Thanks!
  2. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Id say theyre very good. Even better when you consider the price.
    I use just a little compression. .but you have the ability to go crazy with it...and several to choose from.
    The looper..I dont use it much..but its simple..makes sense. .what more could you ask for.
    (Some cool looper vids on YouTube. )

Im sure charliec will chime in soon..I highly recommend checking out his thread on the unit.

good luck.
  3. Volpe25

Volpe25

Its by no means as good as a dedicated compression pedal but its really quite good for a multi effects unit, better than any other multi effects I've tried. And the looper is just a basic record and overrdub, there's no separate tracks, there's no undo that I know of but I've not used the looper too much, its good for practice and for basic use but Id choose an actual loop pedal over the B3 looper for performance every single time. Its well worth the purchase though if you don't want a looper that does anything too fancy and considering for under the price of 2 pedals you can get a really nice handful of effects
  4. bassbrad

bassbrad

YMMV but I find the compressors to be very good on the B3, I wish Bongomania would put it thru his detailed testing.
    The compressors on previous Zoom pedals were always useless IMHO.

The looper is very easy to use and sounds quite good.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

I have the MS-60B, which has a lot of the patches from the B3. The 160 Comp is really good and probably good enough for any live rig. I have been playing around with it for a couple of weeks now, and it is not as good as my Diamond Bass Comp, and unfortunately, will not eliminate it from my board.
  7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah I'm sorry about that. It's on my to-do list, but I just haven't prioritized the money for it yet.
  8. Swift713

Swift713

I like the comps on the B3. I sold my Maxon CP9 pro+ which was really top shelf because the B3 is adequate for my purposes and actually more versatile in some ways since it has several good comp models.
  9. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn

Sold my much loved EBS MultiComp after getting my MS-60b. I use the 160Comp sim.
  10. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    By all means you cannot compare them to the real thing but it holds its own. The down side for me is they don´t have a gain reduction meter, but it forces you to use your ear.
  11. Ezmar

Ezmar

Probably a bonus, even, since I'm not experienced with using compression at all. I'd be getting the unit mainly to have flexibility with sound when playing, rather than to get really nice particular effects, so as long as the amp modeling sounds organic (which zoom seems hood at), and the compression and EQ work well (EQ isn't a big deal, since my amp has a nice 10 band graphic), that's basically all I need, aside from some nice chorus, phase, and envelope filter effects.

So I think I'll decide to pull the trigger fairly soon. After all, Victor Wooten himself told me it was good. :p