1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Compressor choices..?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by raul, Feb 5, 2014.

1. raul

raul

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a compressor. Looking for a nice amount of squash if needed but mostly to smooth out spikes that can occur in finger style plucking. And a nice sustain and round tone.

MXR M87
    Pigtronix Philosopher Bass Compressor
    Xotic Sp Compressor
    Aguilar TLC

Those are locally available to try. Of those, which seems to offer what I'm looking for? Pigtronix seems cool. I think Julie Slick uses one these days? The SP is a nice small enclosure. The other two are more well known.

Hmmm...

2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I have a Xotic SP compressor for my nano board. True bypass, blend knob, and when cranked it has a fair amount of squish, and it has good sustain. Its also built well, sounds good, and easy to use - overall, I like it.

3. rsm

rsm

TC Electronics Nova Dynamics - discontinued, but worth a look IMO if you need / want different compressors types or presets.

I still have my old Trace Elliot SMX Dual Compressor, I had a GP12SMX pre with this circuit built in, when I switched to the MP11 pre it did not have the onboard compressor, so I got the this compressor and run it in the effects loop. Big pedal, but the dual bands give you more flexibility. Worth a look, they show up on ebay from time to time.

4. K2000

K2000

A great reference for compressors is the Ovni Labs website. If you can test those models in-person, then certainly go with your own ears. But this is always worth referring to:

http://www.ovnilab.com

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

I went with the Diamond BCP-1. I tried the Pigtronix and it stomped on my tone and made a bunch of noise. You could definitely tell that you engaged an effect pedal when it was on. The Diamond was transparent, quiet, and simple. I've been very happy with it. Obviously it isn't in the OP's list, so this may be of little help.

7. Clutchcargo

Clutchcargo Supporting Member

K2000 gave you some good advice. I've been very happy with my Demeter Compulator for exactly what you're describing. Not a lot of "squish" but I wasn't wanting that so, Lee........

8. pudgychef

pudgychef

+1 great info in FAQs and very readable/informative reviews

9. K2000

K2000

ovni labs is an awesome resource. There is a wealth of information there.

10. DinnerWithAGypsy

DinnerWithAGypsy Supporting Member

Yes, Ovni Lab is an amazing resource, as everyone else is rightly saying. Use it!

I use (and love) the Aguilar TLC. It's quite adept at limiting spikes, if you want and set it to be.

11. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    +1. IMO, you can't go wrong with that one.

12. julieslick

julieslick

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist¬ólakland+gk+d'addario+eventide+pigtronix+digitech
    i love my pigtronix!

13. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

If you can afford it go with a Keeley, if not look for a used boss CS2 thats my 2 cents

14. Aladinsane1969

Aladinsane1969 Supporting Member

15. Fonsick

Fonsick

Guys, I have a doubt about compressors. Is it good to use a compressor (Empress Comp looks pretty good to me) with a Tech 21 driver DI? I mean, I like the way the Sansamp Enhance the level and makes my sound more vivid and dynamic... but I want to control some peaks and have a smooth and sustained tone without lossing the power that my tech21 gives to my bass so a Compressor would be good combined with the Driver DI? By the way, I play Indie rock my rig is a Fender Jaguar, Fender Rumble 100 Amp, Korg Pitchblack Tuner and SansAmp Tech21 Driver DI (As I said, I'd like to add an Empress Comp to my chain). Thank you very much and I beg you pardon my poor English. Greetings from Colombia!

16. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Tech21 unit actually compresses your signal a little already. If you need or want MORE compression, then yes you can add any compressor to it. There is no conflict. :)

17. Fonsick

Fonsick

Thanks a lot Mr. Bongo. I really appreciate your knowledge about compressors. I like your web page so much.

18. M. Owen Santy

M. Owen Santy Banned

Disclosures:
    Michael Tobias Designs Kingston Series & Traynor Amps Artist
    +1 for Ovnilab.....

I use an EBS multi-comp which works well - but for basic compression (always on) see if you can find and try out a TC Electronics Spark booster (the 4 knob, not the mini). It's not a compression pedal per-se, but it has an active tone circuit that will compress your tone very nicely not to mention does a ton of tone enhancement in front of a all-tube or hybryd amp. Almost sonic-maximiser like at times without all the pain that goes with one of the BBE boxes.

Best thing is that it's damn near noiseless & true bypass. Won't leave home without mine.

19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

20. MikroKev

MikroKev

I have the Xotic SP, and the Keeley 4 knob - and I'd recommend them both. I use the Xotic mainly now - but that's because of the compact format. Soundwise they're both good, but the Keeley is more adjustable.

Previously I'd had a Boss CS3 which gave me the sustain I was after, but lost me some low end in the process. Next up was a Digitech Bass Squeeze, which I thought would be better with compression bands being adjustable separately, but it wasn't.

21. Fonsick

Fonsick

M. Owen, sir... The TC Electronics Spark Booster looks pretty good... It seems to enhance level and works as an EQ for a better definition tone. Are you sure this works fine on a Bass Guitar?

Thank you.