compressor help needed

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JensCambre, Mar 4, 2014.

1. JensCambre

JensCambre

I’ve been wanting to buy a compressor pedal for a long time now and I have done tons of research. I’ve read practically every related thread, checked every website (even ovnilab), but I cannot figure out what I need. I just can’t seem the find the forest through the trees anymore…

So I’m just going to tell you my situation and hope you guys can just tell me what to buy.

I play a fender American standard jazz bass (which is passive) and I have a couple of effects I play it through, my amp is a marshall mb4410. I really like my tone, no, I REALLY LOVE my tone and I do not want it to change what so ever! I mostly play with a pick, but sometimes fingerpickin’ is just a must to get what you need. When I play finger style, I often get those hard pops and peaks in my sound when I pluck the strings to hard. Also, when using an envelope filter, it just gets those sharp peaks from time to time. I would love for these to go away, but I need my tone stay unaffected from it. Do I need a limiter of a compressor? And most of all which one? I would hate it if my tone where to change…

Thanks in advance!
  2. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Either a dedicated limiter or a compressor that can do limiting (MXR Bass Comp comes to mind) will help you.
  3. JensCambre

JensCambre

and the mxr one will not change my tone?
  4. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Supporting Member

I have the Aguilar TLC and usually I can't tell when it's engaged. Ovni lab seems to me to have the most accurate descriptions out there. Trust him. I use mine after an envelope filter as a limiter and as far as tone goes, it's been so mashed up by the time it hits the comp. that I can't tell/don't care if a little coloration has occurred.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JensCambre

JensCambre

Alright, i was planning on using it as an always on pedal. So to me it is rather important that it leaves my tone untouched
  7. eriky4003

eriky4003

I'll vouch with Hobobob that the MXR will not modify your tone. That said, check this website for good to better information: www.ovnilab.com for unbiased reviews.
  8. JensCambre

JensCambre

Guess i'll be goin for the mxr :) unless somebody can tell me if the boss lmb3 colours your tone? it's a lot cheaper...
  9. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

I used the LMB-3 as a limiter for a while. If you keep the "presence" all the way off, I'd say it's not too colored. Depends on how you set your threshold and such. Thing is, if a pedal is doing something to your signal (like squashing the highs), then it is by virtue coloring your tone.

Maybe a Low Pass Filter is an option if you are interested in leaving your signal unaffected and just shelving highs after a certain freq.
  10. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

I purchased the MXR bass compressor not too long ago and I'm very happy with it. I will never play bass without one again. Helped a lot with sustained notes as well. I've read great things about Ashdown's Dual Band bass compressor also bud.
  11. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

If you already like your tone, I would check out Diamond, only compressor that I've ever found that meshes with all my basses.