Compressor - need a recommandation

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dude123, Nov 13, 2012.

1. dude123

dude123

hello, i have recently purchased the Carl martin Opto Compressor, and it does not fit my requirements....

what i want is a device that will stablize my overall sounding by boosting low signals and lower high peak signals - i believe there are some compressors out there that actually do that, like the BOSS cs-3 - thats a nice sounding compressor, the problem is the high volumed noise when you turn the sustain knob beyond 9:30...

i was thinking about the Seymour Duncan DoubleBack.. but i`m open for any other suggestions, and also you may put some light on this issue if i was getting it wrong..

thank you very much.

2. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Have you read ovnilab.com ? You might find compressor that meet your requirements there.

3. dude123

dude123

oh yes i did a little research, thats actually why i bought Carl Martin for the first place, but in those reviews he touches compression in other aspects, so long story short i didnt find what i was asking for...

- like the seymour duncan review - he is not talking about boosting low signals and lower high peaks (in the seymour duncan site they actually do refer to this issue when talking about the DoubleBack)..

i think i got something wrong - doesn`t all compressors do that? (boosting low signals and lower high peaks) or are they just limiting the signals that goes beyond the threshold?

4. Richard Sabines

Richard Sabines

DOD Milkbox: cheap and incredible compressor

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ShowKing

ShowKing

Im very happy with my mxr m87 bass compressor. Check it out

7. Josh Pelican

Josh Pelican

MXR M87 or Demeter Compulator. The only two I've tried personally.

8. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Supporting Member

Same here. Its not the best out there but its the best, and least intrusive ive personally ever used (ive not actually used that many but its still the best of 'em).

9. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Reducing high levels and boosting low levels is the basic function of any compressor. So there must be something very, very wrong with your Carl Martin if it doesn't do this.

Perhaps it's merely a setup issue, or something more tonal that doesn't appeal to you. Or it could be that's it's transparency means that you can't hear it working - often, subtle compression isn't obvious until it's used in the context of a band mix. Likewise, obvious compression can sound quite bad once in a band mix.

10. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

11. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Mr. Majestic Swamp Ash Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    Markbass Compressore. I have run many different models and "MY" best tone came through the Markbass.

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You clearly haven't read the FAQ, so don't say you've "done research". At the top of my review page it says "read the FAQ first" and I meant it.