Compressor pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jzonbass, Apr 8, 2014.

1. jzonbass

jzonbass

Need some help on a great compressor, pedal witch will even out my fret board and give me sustain .. Thanks for your input..
  2. groooooove

groooooove

3. El Raro

El Raro

Generally, the top 3 production line compressor pedals that seem to be highly regarded across the board are the MXR M87, Aguilar TLC and the Markbass Compressore. Each one is voiced differently and will give you certain sonic qualities the others won't but they're all generally great quality and responsive compressors.
  4. Bassistcali

Bassistcali

Agreed.... If tighter budget boss lmb-3..for a boss compressor I found it does the job well (better than cs-3) there's also mod kits for it but otherwise those 3 are better
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yeah, it seems the Diamond compressor gets a lot of love on the TB effects forum too, and FWIW, I use the tiny Xotic SP compressor.

jzonbass: checkout http://www.ovnilab.com/
  7. MothBox

MothBox

Any information on these mods?

I've found the enhance knob adds a lot of noise. I checked Bongos review before buying, at the time i was on a budget and just wanted to limited some peaks.

No complaints with the enhance knob set to zero.
  8. spz8

spz8

How does a pedal witch even out your fret board? :meh:
  9. Bassistcali

Bassistcali

Theres a few I think...I've used the Steve McKinley thunder and the Enhance knob offers more boost in the treble....it adds clarity and i love it...definitely worth the money, but then again for the pedal and mods you can probably get the mxr or the markbass for a little bit more.
  10. El Raro

El Raro

Black magic obviously.
  11. Feral Feline

Feral Feline

Witch's Brew will sustain you, but to even out the fretboard you'll need to Level 42.

I've got an LMB-3 as well, and have heard about the mods for it. Almost anything I've ever read about the LMB-3, nobody uses the enhance knob. Makes me wonder what Boss techs were thinking when they designed the pedal "It adds a lot of noise, great for noise-rock bands – ship it!"

My only goal is to use it as a limiter (Diamond does the squishing), but I'm interested in the mods – who does 'em and what do they do to it?
  12. MothBox

MothBox

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

If money is no object grab a Cali76 with the transformer option you will not be disappointed.

[​IMG]
  14. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

Sounds like the Diamond Bass compressor. I've never tried one but this is what it has been described to do. It's also been said it adds a little magic to your tone. I'd check it out first. I have the Empress compressor and I love it. It's worth checking out as well.
  15. eveilleu

eveilleu Supporting Member

PWNZOR!

They're awesome.
  16. Bassistcali

Bassistcali

An attack knob would've been nice
  17. Feral Feline

Feral Feline

Thanks! I used to have that page bookmarked, but my 'puter is in the shop so I'm using my significant other's laptop.

I got the LMB-3 thrown in free with a bass I bought, so the cost of modding isn't daunting, but shipping charges might kill the notion.
  18. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I love the MXR and they can be had pretty reasonable used.
  19. SteveC

SteveC

I like my MXR. Been using it for a few weeks. Have been using it for light compression and to "even out" my playing on my 6 string, but I may try it as a limiter (20:1) next week.
  20. SteveC

SteveC

There's an MXR M87 for sale in the classifieds….
  21. InsanityAmps

InsanityAmps Supporting Member

I use a BBE optostomp and it works well for me. Other compressors may make your bass sound better, amazing, whatever but the BBE does not do that. Your bass sounds the same when it is on or off which is what I want. No color, just a simple compressor to even things out.