Compressor question on attack and "dip and swell"

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by franksgbass, Jan 15, 2014.

1. franksgbass

franksgbass Supporting Member

So, I have done plenty of research and I feel that this question is specific enough to have its own thread. Also, I thought it'd be helpful to someone who might be in my situation.

I got into compressors because one of my favorite players, Juan Alderete uses one. Specifically the Boss CS-2. So for about 8 months this was my first and only experience with pedal compression.
    I play very aggressive half the time in my current band. Almost like a slap and pop type player, but with a pick. The Boss CS-2 keeps up with this very well. I never get the "Dip and Swell" effect when I hit a very hard note. I use the attack at max, but even when I dial the attack to 11 oclock, it still does not dip.
    Now, I have tried quite a few of the more bass specific compressors. And by all means, I really do hear a difference. Problem is even with the attack and release set high, I get the dip and swell effect and I really do not enjoy it.
    I loved the Empress and the Compressore, but when using them in the "limiter" context, they both dip.
    So my question is, does anyone know of a compressor in pedal format that will act as a limiter (like the CS-2), give me the fast attack without the dip, and also not cut lows or highs?
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Check out the Maxon CP9 Pro+. :)
  3. franksgbass

franksgbass Supporting Member

Awesome. Thanks. That was one that I have not looked into yet. I was considering the MXR M-87.
    In your review of the Maxon you mention "A minor complaint is the attack is fixed, and will allow the initial transient spike through if you peg it with a hard note; so even though it is capable of an infinite ratio for limiting, there may be some times when a quick initial spike may pass."

So is this something different than the "dip and swell" that I was mentioning?
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Totally different. The transient spike occurs before the compression has reached full strength (before it noticeably "kicks in"). Whereas the dip occurs at the point where the compression is maximal, and the swell occurs as the comp releases.
  5. Register to disable this ad