Compressor Question on my new Carvin BX1500

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Toddbass65, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Toddbass65

Toddbass65 Supporting Member

Got my new BX1500 and love it with my two BR410 cabs. Running each cab off the power amps individually - so 300 watts per cab.
    I am having a hard time figuring out the compression. I can't seem to equal out the volume between my strings (4 string) and the clip light on the compression is on all the time. Any ideas what I can do to solve this......and is the clipping light on the compression something to worry about? Trying to get everything worked out on my setup and I am gettin close.
    Any other advice anyone might have related to setup is welcome, as I am still learning this new rig and am FAR from an expert :)
    Thanks!
  2. 62 Vintage J

62 Vintage J

What " o'clock " position is the Compression knob set? The obvious solution is to back off on the 'COMP' gain. The LED should not be on all the time!

You have probably already read the instruction manual, but here is what it says:

The advantage of a compressor is to the reduce peaks and other sudden loud parts (transients) of your
    playing so you can increase your overall volume. For example, in slap bass playing, the plucked notes
    can put out peaks that would distort the amplifier at normal playing volumes. If the amp’s volume was
    adjusted for these peaks, the rest of the notes would be too quiet to hear with the band. When the compressor
    is adjusted to where the LED comes on for loud peaks, the amplifier can be played louder without
    distortion. It’s like having someone re-adjusting the volume of the amplifier to prevent distortion when
    the peaks occur.
    The compressor circuit in the BX series is also internally connected to the power amplifier. When the
    amplifier reaches peak clipping levels it activates the compressor and reduces the output signal. This
    helps prevent the amplifier from clipping and protects the speakers.

The section under 'PEAK LEDs':

The red PEAK LEDs are clipping indicators for the amplifier(s). If the amps are clipping use the MASTER
    to reduce the level. The COMPRESSOR may also serve to help prevent clipping. Be sure not to run the
    amps with heavy continuous clipping (PEAK LEDs ON) or your speakers could be damaged.
  3. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    I own a BX1500 and don't seem to have this problem. Some basses are hotter than others, even passive basses. My compression LED comes on occaisionally , especially when slapping ( as it should ). I have it set on about 2 or 3. Where is your drive and gain set at at ?
  4. Toddbass65

Gain has been around 12 or so and compression about the same. In running it at dual mono, I have both power amps turned up all the way and have been adjusting the overall volume with the master. Using passive basses.
    Any ideas on what might be causing it?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 5port

5port

G&L 2500 Active...hot

Drive............5
    Compressor...1.5
    Master..........2-3
    Amp1...........5
    Amp2...........5

Vary the master for the volume out and leave the amp1 and 2 set at 5. The hotter the bass the lower the compressor will be set (your driving it harder). The reason the light is staying on is your past the trigger threshold at 12 oclock. Set the compressor to #1 and start playing...slowly turn it up until you hit the compression point. 12 oclock is way too high for most basses.
  7. makohund

makohund

+1, 12 o'clock on that thing is super high. I never go over about 10:30, and that is for intentional heavy compression.

That compression led means it is being triggered and is actively compressing. You're squashing everything really hard if every note lights it up solid.

Back it down all the way. Turn it up till it just flickers on harder notes, or even briefly on every note. Likely will end up under 9 o'clock at most. Barely on is enough, really.
  8. Toddbass65

thanks - gonna try the settings you guys mentioned and see how it goes at rehearsal this Friday. Never used compression before so new to me. Any other ideas let me know - I will try all of them this friday night and see how it shakes out.