1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Compressor Survey.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Q-Ban-Moe, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Q-Ban-Moe

Q-Ban-Moe Gold Supporting Member

Help me choose here....

An Aguilar TLC Compressor

OR

A Malekko Analog Compressor

Which is better, quieter....?

Thanks! :)

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Aguilar is good, the Malekko is garbage.

3. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness...

4. Q-Ban-Moe

I'm thinking of the Aguilar.
    Is it a quiet compressor ?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

Sure. Most decent compressors are pretty quiet. However, if the signal chain before it is noisy it may be more noticeable when the compressor it engaged.

7. Q-Ban-Moe

Thanks !

Good food for thought... I will be running two TC Electronic pedals... a Corona Chorus and a Trinity Reverb.. both of which are extremely quiet.... :hyper:

8. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Have you gone on Aguilar's website and listened to the sound samples with high quality headphones of the TLC? Have you checked out Bongo's compressor review website on the TLC?

The two put together sold me on the TLC.... plus if you call up Jason @ Bass strings online dot com, he hooks up talkbass guys with better than Amazon price.

It sounds amazing, it is almost a clean boost and a compressor all in one and evens out your tone and makes your playing sound "better" without coloring the tone or anything weird that the others do. Edit: and there is zero noise from the TLC.

9. Aaron_D

Aaron_D

The TLC was the best pedal compressor I've ever used until the Markbass Compressore. But they are apples and oranges. The TLc is totally transparent and the Compressore is king of tubes goodness.

10. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Disclosures:
    Tone Bastards Cables
    I know its not one of your options but if interested check out the JHS Green Tea. I absolutely love mine. Great compressor, blender and boost all in one. Dead quiet too.

11. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

FEA or EMPRESS.
    Do a search and be amazed.

12. wilfredes

wilfredes

The TLC was the best pedal compressor I've ever used until the Markbass Compressore.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. bassbrad

bassbrad

14. Taufik Eka

Taufik Eka

Where the right place to put my Aguilar TLC, before or after mxr m80 preamp ,mxr fuzz, bass balls, bass microsynth ?

15. darius8

darius8

The compressor should always be the first pedal, unless you have a tuner.

I like the Markbass Compressore because you have almost total control.

16. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It depends on personal tastes, but generally I'd put the comp after the filter and after the synth, to control their resonant peaks. I would turn the comp off when using the fuzz, to keep whatever bit of dynamics the fuzz allows--so for me it doesn't matter where the comp goes before or after the fuzz. As far as the preamp, it depends on how you're using it, as a DI or an overdrive or an EQ or whatever combination. Use your ears and logic to sort that one out. :)

17. darius8

darius8

Bongomania knows his compressors, but, IME, a compressor might/will accentuate any noise that comes before it. So, like he said test it for yourself.

18. Bakkster_Man

Bakkster_Man

I like my Aguilar TLC. Only thing I wish it had was an LED to know when I was past the threshold.

My current chain is bass-phaser-fuzz-comp-DI/OD. I definitely keep the comp after the phaser to help with any level drop, and before the DI because it acts like a cab where the comp would be before anyway, and it evens out the touch. Experiment, as always. Heck, swapping my fuzz and OD gave the fuzz a new lease on life, all I had to do was try it.

19. gre107

gre107

The MXR is really nice and the LED strip is very helpful.

20. Taufik Eka

Taufik Eka

Ok thanks guys for the info 😉

21. Cycho

Cycho

For what an Aguilar TLC costs you could have a Zoom B3 (which has compression and a whole lot of other stuff). Just sayin'