Compressor to go with Tone Hammer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Squawk, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Squawk

Squawk

Any recommendations? Tone Hammer is on the way. I'd like to get a compressor pedal next. Don't want any distortion from the compressor. Prefer Analog with true bypass.
  2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Everything you'll ever need to know.

http://www.ovnilab.com/

Bongo's "best picks" are spot-on IME. Do give some consideration to your budget. OTOH, you can buy a whole lotta quality compression for low dough.

Riis
  3. Squawk

Squawk

Are all the compressors he recommends suitable for bass? Like EarthQuaker the Warden?
  4. afb0032

afb0032 Supporting Member

I love the combination of my tone hammer and TLC. They pair really well together.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

7. aledeville

aledeville

I'd go with the Empress. This thing is just great, parallel blending is somehow so superior.
    This of course is my own impression/opinion.
  8. domdec314

domdec314 Supporting Member

Yes. He is a bass player, so all of his reviews describe how they sound with bass.
  9. Squawk

Squawk

What compressor would one recommend that doesn't have any distortion?
  10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Compression IS distortion. :) However I'm guessing you mean no buzzy, obviously hard clipped sounds. Look for comps that run at a voltage higher than 9V; for example either it uses an 18V supply, or it contains a charge pump that boosts a 9V supply up to 18V. Also, look for ones that have an input level control, or an input pad.

Examples: Maxon CP9Pro+, Empress, or Markbass.
  11. depalm

depalm Gold Supporting Member

Markbass Compressore and Empress are two great compressors.
  12. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Look no further than the MarkBass Compressore. All you need, right there.
  13. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

I used to own the CP9pro+ and its a great unit. I ended up selling it for some reason. Recently I did my research and ended up with the Empress Compressor. It sounds great at 9v(it can do 18v for higher headroom) and it only draws 100mA so you can use it with most isolated power supply units. That sealed the deal for me. The Markbass gets great reviews but you can only run it at 18v(I think, is it 12v?, someone will correct me I can't remember right now) if needing a dedicated power supply isn't a deal breaker try it. If it is try the Maxon or the Empress.
  14. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

It is 12V, and it needs a bunch of it, because there is a real tube in the circuit.
  15. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses Artist
    ...and unlike some other stompbox compressors/pre's with tubes, the MarkBass actually uses the tube stage for compression. Warm and fat. I love it.

16. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

Bongo's thread is a good place to get ideas, but his info there is based on his own observations and opinions also. Make sure you do your own listening and find what sounds good to you. I have loved lots of the compressors on Bongo's list that he also likes, and several he does not speak very favorably of. I actually prefer the Aguilar TLC over any other pedal compressor out there for bass. I'm not a fan of the M87 which so many people love, though I thought I liked it initially for a good while. I still love the EBS but wish it were a little less noise and had a threshold control. The Maxon is nice but wound up doing some subtle things I didn't care for...etc, etc.

Honestly, I think the TLC is the easiest, most set-it quickly and forget compressor you can buy for bass guitar. If you like your Tone Hammer, then the TLC is very complimentary to that.
  17. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

I love using my Diamond BCP with my Tone Hammer head, but I also liked it when I had an Empress Comp. I know from personal experience that either of those is excellent, but I will add that based upon the ovnilab reviews there are many others that I would not hesitate to use (including the TLC, among others).
  18. Squawk

Squawk

I think I've decided to go with the Pigtronix Phil. Bass.
  19. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My Markbass Compressore is always on
  20. Squawk

Squawk

I thought about the MB but real estate is becoming minimal on my board.
  21. Squawk

Squawk

And back and forth I go.:oops: Id like to fit the Markbass on my Pedal board and I think I can. But the 12v jack on the ISO-5 is rated for 300ma and the Markbass requires 600ma.

I am electric current dumb, so I ask, will it work with the 300ma jack and if so will it effect performance?