1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by basslifter, Mar 2, 2014.

1. basslifter

basslifter

I know this has been talked about quite a bit on the board over the years as I have done my due diligence and researched, but....

I keep seeing on TB that one of the most important tools a bass player can have is a compressor. I have listened to a lot of YouTubes of various pedals and a few sound demos. I'm sorry, but, most of the time, I just can't hear it. Is it because they are somewhat accomplished players and play fairly evenly anyway? The before and after effect is employed...well, it just doesn't sound that different. It seems like a lot of money for an 'effect' that I have a difficult time discerning.
    I know what it is supposed to do and that others have said it is important, but sorry, I still just don't get it. Please help me to understand why this item is a must-have for a lot of players.
    :help:

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  3. Swift713

Swift713

When I use a compressor I feel it as much as hear it. It tends to change the way the instrument responds to your playing but aside from the more extreme effects some people use I generally can't tell when someone else is using one.