compressore power supply?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by atracksler, Oct 19, 2013.

1. atracksler

atracksler Supporting Member

Looking for an elegant power supply solution for my pedalboard, which includes a compressor....

Looking through previous threads, The T-Rex Fuel Tank Classic was the winner, didnt know if there was a more current (pun intended) solution that might be a smidge cheaper...

Thanks in advance, ad
  2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I use the Compressore, but was unable to find a power supply capable of handling its significant draw (500 mA). I ended up getting the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+ and plugging the Compressore into the so-called "courtesy outlet" using the power supply that came with the compressor.
  3. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Supporting Member

The Godlyke daisy chain power supply thing (I think it's PA-9S or something similar) easily powers my Compressore and all my other 8 pedals, even with all of them on at once. Of course, since the Compressore uses 12 volts I had to pick up a little voltage converter gizmo (also by Godlyke, the exact model name also eludes me). It's worth it though, in my opinion, to not have to worry about multiple different plugs and whatnot (and to have a nice clean pedalboard).
  4. depalm

depalm Supporting Member

I had to take my Compressore off my pedalboard 'cause i couldn't find a power supply that could work with it.
    I still have it but use mostly on studio.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

Interesting. The Godlyke Iso-Pump only supplies 480 mA @ 12 volts and the Compressore requires a minimum 600mA. I was under the impression that if you didn't give a device the minimum amps required it may not perform correctly (though I'm far from an expert in these matters). Have you noticed any difference in performance?
  7. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

Is that viable solution? How has it worked for you?
  8. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Supporting Member

Nope. It has been working perfectly for many months now and I use it virtually every day; when with my band or just practicing alone.
  9. Lownote38

Lownote38

I just have 2 power strips zip tied underneath my pedaltrain board. My 9V power supply which powers most of my pedals goes to one power strip, and anything that's different goes to the other (Compressore and a few others). Velcro ties keep all the wires nice and organized.
  10. halfjackson

I got this response from Ben at Voodoo Labs about powering the Markbass Compressore with the outlet on the back of the Pedal Power 2 Plus:

"Yes, you can use the Pedal Power 2 Plus AC courtesy outlet as you have described.

You can connect a power strip to the courtesy outlet for use with multiple pedals/effects and their adapters.

It may also be used to power an additional Pedal Power 2 Plus, 4x4, MONDO, ISO-5, Pedal Power Digital or Pedal Power AC.

The courtesy outlet is NOT designed for use with power amplifiers or other high power equipment."

I hope this helps out. Plus, I found the explanation on the do's and don'ts regarding the "courtesy outlet" on the PP2+ to be great (it isn't that thorough in the manual).
  11. Bassist4Eris

It's worked just fine. Completely viable. The only problem is if you mount the Voodoo Lab on the bottom of a Pedal Train, the hole in the Pedal Train is not large enough to accommodate the "wall wart" style plug that the Compressore uses. My solution is to put something along the lines of one of these in the hole:

http://www.amazon.com/Pc-Grounding-...14&sr=8-1&keywords=3-prong to 2-prong adapter

This serves as an extender. This isn't the exact brand I use. You'll need to make sure the one you buy is long enough to reach out the back of the Pedal Train.

The irony here is that I'm using it to plug a two prong plug into a three prong socket, the exact opposite of its usual use.
  12. Bassist4Eris

Wow, that's cool! I never thought of that. Not that I need to do that...yet. :bassist:
  13. halfjackson

Hah!

Ah, I hadn't considered that but it makes sense. I just got my PP2+ today, and the Compressore has been my first choice for a compressor if I could manage to power it conveniently. Pretty stoked that it's all working out.

Yeah, me neither, but that could change quite rapidly!
  14. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

Emailed Voodoo Labs.... you can use either the 4x4 or Mondo to power a Compressore. Use a current doubling cable (bought separately, either through their website or Sweetwater for $6), plugged into 2 '12v, 400mA' outlets. That will give you one '12v, 800mA' plug, capable of giving enough juice to the Compressore. I also have an M5 and a few other pedals. Looks like the 4x4 would be enough for me, at the moment.