1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Compressors in M9/M13

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chrisk-K, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Compressors in my M13 seems to boost high ends. When I activate a compressor and slap, the tone is much brighter. Am I missing something?

2. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    Albums:
    Most of the comps are modeled after pedals that do cut some low end. The Tube Comp is the best comp on there for bass IMO. It won't be on there unless you've upgraded to the 2.01 firmware.

If you do a search for M13 upgrade you should get some info on how to do it.

3. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Oh yeah, I upgraded to the 2.01 and the Tube Comp sounds awesome!

4. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Rich from Line 6 never answered my question, maybe one of you guys can: Are the comp engines in the M9/M13 identical to the ones in the Constrictor pedal module?

7. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    Albums:
    PM'd

8. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

@Bongo: I've always had the impression the M9/13 effects are better sounding than my PodXT effects - a hunch which is confirmed in the new PodHD ads: "now with M-class effects" (they clearly think the M-class are better than the ones before then)

I find the LA-2 in my M9 the most useable comp in that box but my Aguilar TLC kicks the softwares virtuall butt blindfolded with 2 hands tied behind its back.
    The software handles the compression alright but the TLC controls the dynamics but makes the sound larger/meatier/ballsier at the same time. The 'grab' is also much more pronounced in the TLC.

Herwig

9. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I did not personally like the compressors in the M9. The tube comp was the only one that was reasonably usable but it lacks any real controls. I always thought it made the attack on picked bass sound odd, it was over compressing the attack or something.

10. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Ditto. That and the fact that it runs really hot prevents it from being an "always on" effect.

11. kjs

kjs

+1 on the tube compressor. I always have it on.

Threshold is ALMOST at the very top and the level is ALMOST at the very bottom.

I have another one with a lower threshold and level boost above the other comp to switch to when i tap.

The rest are all throwaway for bass.

12. clubdude

clubdude The Ten Man

+2 for the Tube Comp always on. 3/4 threshold, 1/4 level.

-13 for the rest being "throwaway(s)". Just my opinion, but I use the analog chorus, and the bass octaver a lot, plus several of the overdrive/distortions. Working my way up to the filters, now, as I get more used to it.

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm sure he meant the rest of the compressors, not the rest of the effects.

14. GizmoTheOne

GizmoTheOne

+3. Tube comp is the best one in there, the other ones are modeled after compressors which either work best for guitar or use an odd compression system that I've still yet to understand. The tube comp is always on on my M13, threshold at 9/10, level at 0.0001/10 (damn, these effects run hot!). Definitely it's not the best option if you're looking for tone enhancement, but it does just what I want a compressor to, i.e. even out my dynamics and cut annoying frequencies a bit.

I also use a couple of the other effects on some parts of our songs, including phaser, octaver, tube drive, analog chorus, smart harmony, dimension, reverbs, Q filter (LP) and auto volume echo.

This unit gives so much possibilities, it's awesome. Do the effects sound good? Yes, they do. Do they sound amazing? Most of them don't. However, I bought this unit because I wanted something simple and versatile for live playing while still having decent sounding effects. That's exactly what I got, maybe even more.(let's face it, when playing live, nobody even realizes you just turned on that octaver or slight drive, so why spend $500/pedal just to be told : "what? you had effects running?" when you can have them all for the same price).

15. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

The effects of my M13 sound much better than those of my XT. My XT is collecting dust.

16. kevteop

kevteop

I just used the Tube Comp on a track I recorded today, it's a sort-of Clash / Ruts / Joe Jackson sound I was going for (our guitarist wrote it when I told him I didn't want to do a Ruts cover!) that I play with a pick and on that the Tube Comp sounds really nice and squishy. It's too heavy-handed to use as anything but "compressor effect" though, certainly not something I'd leave on all the time.

The rest of the comps I don't like on bass.

17. iamdenialNJ

iamdenialNJ Supporting Member

I found that with my rig the tube comp brings out a lot of noise. I'm going to go with a dedicated compressor pedal. Wow, I realized that I'm pretty much only using my m9 for delays. Three scenes are only delays. I love how I can stack up to three delays and have up to six different delays to choose from.

18. Derelict78

Derelict78

Tube comp sounds best to me but my amp has tube comp so its not necessary for me

19. Swift713

Swift713

The Tube comp is clearly the best but the Comp Boost is also good for more aggressive action.